Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can you buy in one state and register in another
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Can you buy in one state and register in another

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
AnneM

Israel

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 03:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're moving to the US in July and plan on full-time RV'ing as soon as we can get a truck and a 5th wheel.
We're not US citizens but will have a long-stay work visa. Working from home, we figured we might as well make our home on the road.
Flying into Florida and that's where we'd want to set our domicile.
The plan is to go out to the northeast for hurricane season (and heat) and come back to Florida in November.

I have a LOT of questions and would hugely appreciate some help.

1. Assuming we get our SSN and a Florida driver's license, how difficult would it be to buy and register a heavy-duty truck + 5th wheel? As in, how long do you think it could take. Especially the registration part. Do we have to stick around for our license plates or can we get on the road right away?

2. Let's say we don't find the 5th wheel of our dreams in Florida. We're thinking maybe we can buy a truck there, and drive up to New England (staying in hotels on the way). Then find a rig up in the north, later in the summer. I'm thinking maybe now that covid is almost over, and winter will be coming soon, maybe more people will be selling up in the north?

If we do that, can we buy an RV in a New England state and register it in Florida? Would we have to drive back to Florida to do that? Or can we somehow remotely register the RV with a Florida DL? I assume buying insurance remotely shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts or tips on how, where and when to buy both pickup and rig would be very welcome!

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida is one of the best places to start. They have very few restriction in place regarding the virus which makes doing things there much easier. Florida also has a number of large RV sales locations which should make it easier to find the fifth wheel you want. Since you have internet access, check out Lazydays RV in Tampa

Lazydays RV

And also General RV near Tampa

General RV Tampa

Those are two of the largest dealers in the USA. They also have used RVs so maybe check those out also. There are others in Florida but that will give you a start.

Regarding the legal requirements for purchasing, call one of the places listed above, or maybe someone living in Florida can comment. Should not be terribly difficult.

Welcome to America! Hope you have a wonderful time here.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk to Scott at SBI ... he knows the ins and outs of Florida residence and travel. He is owner of a mail-forwarding company in Florida - a good one. You will need a mail service if you travel, and want all your license and registration documents in Florida.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know the ins-and-outs of long stay work visas. If it allows or requires you to establish a domicile, you'll serve yourself well by using FL. Look into getting mail services thru the Escapees group, which also gives you an address so you can title and register your vehicles in FL. The actual title and registration can be done the same day or next business day following purchase. I think it will be too difficult, maybe impossible, to buy up north and try to register in FL. You should probably get some professional advice on how to handle potential income taxes since you will be working in different states.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnneM wrote:

We're moving to the US in July and plan on full-time RV'ing as soon as we can get a truck and a 5th wheel.
We're not US citizens but will have a long-stay work visa. Working from home, we figured we might as well make our home on the road.
Flying into Florida and that's where we'd want to set our domicile.
The plan is to go out to the northeast for hurricane season (and heat) and come back to Florida in November.

I have a LOT of questions and would hugely appreciate some help.

1. Assuming we get our SSN and a Florida driver's license, how difficult would it be to buy and register a heavy-duty truck + 5th wheel? Dealer will file all the required paperwork for you As in, how long do you think it could take. Especially the registration part. Do we have to stick around for our license plates or can we get on the road right awayTypically dealer will issue you temporary plates so you can get right on the road.?

2. Let's say we don't find the 5th wheel of our dreams in Florida. We're thinking maybe we can buy a truck there, and drive up to New England (staying in hotels on the way). Then find a rig up in the north, later in the summer. I'm thinking maybe now that covid is almost over, and winter will be coming soon, maybe more people will be selling up in the north?

If we do that, can we buy an RV in a New England state and register it in Florida? Not sure about that. Try goggling the states "Secretary of State" office of the particular state you're thinking you might buy from. Would we have to drive back to Florida to do that? Or can we somehow remotely register the RV with a Florida DL? I assume buying insurance remotely shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts or tips on how, where and when to buy both pickup and rig would be very welcome!
currently both are in limited supply so expect to pay a premium and to not have as many choices.

Answers in red

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the dealer is willing to do the out of state paperwork, yes. State sales tax is another issue.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note on the above. We moved into a Townhouse in Florida and I still had a Mass license. Bought a new truck. The dealer registered truck AND gave me a Florida plate the same day I bought it. Some dealers can do it - not sure all can, but the larger dealers probably can do that registration and plate process same day. Ask first at the dealer where you purchase.

AnneM

Israel

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for all the info! Lots to dig into! I'll be making some calls on Monday.
Spent the day looking up floorplans and even just "on paper" still having a hard time finding the ones that would work for us. We'll definitely have to spend some time looking once we get there.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

honestly. A dealer in SC will probably not be able to register your RV in Florida. I know we bought ours out of state, and had to hand carry the paper work to the DMV. The dealer would not, and could not do it out of state. He did give us a tag to get it home on. But registration was up to us.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Ro"n"Joe

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The out of state dealer will provide temporary plates if you purchase outside of Florida. It's fairly easy to register a vehicle in Florida and suggest making an appointment with the Florida DMV to save time waiting. Consider setting up your domicile in Crestview, FL with MyRVmail.com who has been great to work with.

2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Can you buy in one state and register in another
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.