Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Loss of Power after New Fan Clutch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Loss of Power after New Fan Clutch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
jonaz

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 and it blew the water pump and fan clutch at the campsite. Got it towed to a auto repair store in San Diego and they replaced the fan clutch, water pump, and thermostat.

Since they replaced everything, I noticed that new the fan clutch is unusually loud and tends to stay on a lot (yes, it was a very warm day in Southern California). The fan clutch seems to be matched to my throttle acceleration...meaning the fan clutch roars more with when I apply the gas pedal. Going up into the mountains where I lived, I noticed a significant loss of power..I really had to floor it to maintain 40mph when I could easily do 50mph before.

I hate towing my trailer now and the new fan clutch engages a lot. Ive owned this truck for three years now, and it ran great, never even noticed the fan clutch before. I read that there are thermal and non thermal fan clutches? Do you think they put in the wrong fan clutch? Looking for some advice.

Thanks in Advance

* This post was edited 06/19/21 10:04am by jonaz *

[blue]2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi (3.92 gears) Prodigy brake controller,Weight Distribution Hitch 2021 Coachman Catalina 263BHSCK

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't notice it because the old clutch didn't work well to start with and was worn out. These units lose 5~10% of their efficiency each year as they age. You probably hear it roar in the morning now and when ever it has cooled of some - that's a good thing and a sign it's healthy.
Ram has changed the logic of how and when these fans actuate. They keep the eng cooler and temp more consistent. You will also find your AC works better and has an easier life (lower pressures) during stop and go traffic.
Yes, because that fan can move so much air (way more than any electric), it takes a lot of HP. The one for my diesel pulls 23 HP.
Other than the HP loss, everything about that new clutch is positive.

jonaz

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You didn't notice it because the old clutch didn't work well to start with and was worn out. These units lose 5~10% of their efficiency each year as they age. You probably hear it roar in the morning now and when ever it has cooled of some - that's a good thing and a sign it's healthy.
Ram has changed the logic of how and when these fans actuate. They keep the eng cooler and temp more consistent. You will also find your AC works better and has an easier life (lower pressures) during stop and go traffic.
Yes, because that fan can move so much air (way more than any electric), it takes a lot of HP. The one for my diesel pulls 23 HP.
Other than the HP loss, everything about that new clutch is positive.

Scott- My buddy, who is a good mechanic told me the same thing, sounds like a healthy fan clutch...still, my old fan clutch was quieter and my truck had a lot more power, even pulling my truck up from Southern California to San Francisco.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it runs fine, I’d question any issues with power loss being a problem, but Likely just a 10-15hp drain due to the added accessory load.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree and add that they might have installed a HD fan clutch assembly, which couples more water pump shaft RPMs

OEM for most half ton's couples water pump shaft RPMs in the 50%-60% when they turn on.

HD and Severe Duty fan clutches couple water pump shaft RPMs in the 80%-90% range when they turn on.

They R.O.A.R compared to OEM fan clutches and they turn off sooner than OEM, as they do such a good job of cooling the cooling system down.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put on an electric fan.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Put on an electric fan.

No electric fan can move as much air as the stock clutch fan on these trucks. That's why they use them.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they did NOT put on an OEM Dodge Fan Clutch you will get different results with an Aftermarket!!!!!!! I used to be a distributor for different brands of Fan Clutches….

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Devo the dog wrote:

Put on an electric fan.

No electric fan can move as much air as the stock clutch fan on these trucks. That's why they use them.

I think the reason he mentioned it was to get air moving thru the rads so the main eng fan wouldn't be engaging as much

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On electric radiator fans...make sure your alternator and battery are in good to excellent shape.

It moves the HP source from the water pump shaft to the alternator/battery system.

Have read articles stating that fan clutches 'can' draw more than 10HP when fully on and even more (25HP) for HD/SD fan clutches.

Benefit of electric is that when 'off', there isn't any parasitic draw from the water pump shaft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Loss of Power after New Fan Clutch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.