cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ooops…..

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the truck and trailer hooked up in front of the house ready to take off for the weekend. It turned out I needed the truck so I unhooked and took off with my tailgate down. When I got back a couple hours later I backed up to the trailer and jumped out of the truck, I heard a buzzing noise and could smell hot wires. Immediately I knew what I had done.

I stuck the pin back in the switch but the buzzing continued. It turned out the switch contacts welded themselves together so I had to cut one of the leads in order to get the pump to stop running. I probably should change the brake fluid …. things were extremely hot. I find it very tempting to not replace the switch.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
6 REPLIES 6

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Add me to the list of embarrassing mistakes but luckily posses some mechanical skills to bail me out.....usually.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Fix it! the good news is you wont make that mistake again.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We all have memories of painful mistakes. Painful as memories, not from injuries. We were hooking up one day and a neighbor came by to chat and I lost my situational awareness. Found it again when I could not go any further. Downhill. Turns out I never raised the tongue jack and plowed a 50 foot trench through the lawn and what stopped me was the jack hitting the sidewalk. Also broke three irrigation lines that had been run the day before. Backed up, raised the jack and off we went after turning the sprinkler system off. Since that day, if someone interrupts me, I stop and when the interruption is over I start over with whatever procedure is being performed. Thus , I don't get upset and the interruption is not a big deal.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I had the truck and trailer hooked up in front of the house ready to take off for the weekend. It turned out I needed the truck so I unhooked and took off with my tailgate down. When I got back a couple hours later I backed up to the trailer and jumped out of the truck, I heard a buzzing noise and could smell hot wires. Immediately I knew what I had done.

I stuck the pin back in the switch but the buzzing continued. It turned out the switch contacts welded themselves together so I had to cut one of the leads in order to get the pump to stop running. I probably should change the brake fluid …. things were extremely hot. I find it very tempting to not replace the switch.
I think part ot the RV experience is making boneheaded mistakes.... I thought about posting a list of mine in response.... But it is too painful to relive all that.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup. Hydraulic brakes.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take it you have 'hydraulic brakes'?
(pump?)

US Federal Law (probably same in Canada).....emergency break away system is required!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31