cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO with Auto Shutoff

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Does anyone here have one of these? If so, what are your thoughts? They seem to have good reviews and they're attractively priced. I'm thinking about taking the plunge and buying one.

Hughes Power Watchdog RV Surge Protector
10 REPLIES 10

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for the comments. I pulled the trigger and ordered the unit from Amazon. The current Amazon price is $251.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
3 ton...save some money and make your own.
how to

Good Point Sir!

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
3 ton...save some money and make your own.
how to
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
3 tons wrote:

* Note, Honda must be grounded to campers neutral
3tons

I think the fix for that is a neutral bonding plug.
bo
nding plug

Thanks for the Great Tip Bob, now I can toss my jumper wire with alligator clips ๐Ÿ™‚ !!

3 tons

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:

3tons

I think the fix for that is a neutral bonding plug.
bo
nding plug
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used a older Hughes autoformer and I can tell you in some places it was a real lifesaver And a Surge Guard after it but before the auto transfer switch.

I used a "hard wired" version of the Surge Guard but put pigtails on it so it "installed" in the same manner as the Autoformer. made it easy to pull when the RV got totaled
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AstroBruce
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 50 amp hardwire version. Never thought I needed it until a guy a couple of sites away lost his neutral. That convinced me. I really like the Bluetooth connectivity to my phone. At any moment, I can see volts and amps on each leg, and total watts. Also shows total KW used.

Bruce
2015 28' Airstream Flying Cloud
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 TD, Blue Ox 1000 lb.
400ah LiFePo4, 1000 watts solar
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't have a Hughes, but I LOVE my sola basic autoformer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I have their 30amp Autoformer with surge protection - enables me to run my air conditioner with Honda 2200i while in the Eco mode*

3tons

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not me but Iโ€™m happy with the 30 model.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad