cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tail light Sealant

Jycoscks
Explorer
Explorer
Hope I’m posting to the right area. Have a 2017 JayFlight and need to reseal around the tops of the tail lights and hatches. Jayco said to use DICOR non sag lap sealant but that is not what was used when it came from the factory. It looks like they used butyl tape around the hatches and windows but along the tops of the tail lights,clearance lights, and hatches they ran a bead of some other type of sealant. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
I've had great success using 3M marine 4000UV sealant/adhesive. I like marine grade stuff since it is normally made for a harsher environment than what a typical RV sees.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't last well in the sun. Leaves a residue that is very hard to remove and gets into the surface pores of the material. Nothing else will permanently stick to that surface including new silicon.

Use Proflex RV or OSI Quad.

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
why no silicon?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
frisco_dave wrote:
I use Geocel ProflexRV for that (don't use on the roof, but- I do use for exterior "caulking"):

Proflex

Ditto. That's what most RV manufacturers use around the compartment doors, windows, etc.
Dicor on the walls is just nasty.

Here's a good video on the topic
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Jycoscks wrote:
Again, thank you all. I think I will go with the ProFlex RV

Good choice; works great.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Jycoscks
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thank you all. I think I will go with the ProFlex RV

frisco_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I use Geocel ProflexRV for that (don't use on the roof, but- I do use for exterior "caulking"):

Proflex
2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I use clear Lexel.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with Big Stretch sealant. OSI Quad is uv-resistant. It is used around doors, windows and trim on houses and comes in colors. Sticks to pretty much most surfaces. I don't think bathroom caulk is UV resistant.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
You can also use OSI Quad it will maintain a rubbery consistency. It is composed of elastomeric polymers and high quality synthetic resins. This product offers the superior adhesion characteristics and unmatched elasticity found in high performance sealants. It yields a tough, rubbery seal which resists outdoor weather-related elements.

Do you remember the Big Stretch sealant? It came out in a few test areas, but never was sold nation wide. I bought some, used it and loved it. Is it the same I wonder???

Option is to use bathroom caulk, does not mildew like regular caulk might when always wet.
never use silicon

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use OSI Quad it will maintain a rubbery consistency. It is composed of elastomeric polymers and high quality synthetic resins. This product offers the superior adhesion characteristics and unmatched elasticity found in high performance sealants. It yields a tough, rubbery seal which resists outdoor weather-related elements.

Jycoscks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the quick replies.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Dicore is polyurethane baised. Get that or another polly baised caulk. Its not silicon.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Thats right, you want the Dicor non-sag sealant or equivalent brand, its just an outdoor window/door silicone caulk labeled for RV use. Butyl tape is used for initial install. After a while its wise to run a bead of caulk to keep the item sealed. On tail lights I usually choose a clear caulk. Roof hatches and kinda flat applications use the self leveling stuff.