cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator and an EMS

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, we are new to dry camping. We have a Progressive Industries EMS. When i plugged the EMS into the generator, it would not power the rig. However, it did power the rig without the EMS. Note: the EMS threw up a PE code, open ground. I guess my question is, no EMS with a generator? Thanks!
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts
13 REPLIES 13

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, the EMS is sensing that the Generators ground is not bonded with neutral at the output or shore power entranceโ€ฆA self-Bonding plug should cure thisโ€ฆ

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
EMS is not really needed with a generator.

What generator do you have?

Unless the generator screws up and throws high or low voltage. Anything made by man can fail.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
If its an inverter generator you probably just need a plug with the jumper. My Honda inverter generators won't work with EMS as is too.

EMS is still useful with a generator, it gives you high and low voltage protection. I had an Onan 5500 set off my Progressive EMS system, it was putting out 142 volts. I've also had that happen with other standard generators. I like keeping those $10 plug in voltage meters plugged in all the time, usually I can see the problem before its really a bad problem.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvnutts, go here. I too just added a Predator genny to our fiver, fired it up with EMS, Progressive, turned on. No power. This fixed the situation quickly.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-generator-neutral-bonding-basics/

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
Hey thanks everyone! Ill let dh see your responses! Hopefully we will figure it out!??
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L

MrWizard
I forget who makes the Onan portable GENERATOR (Cummins who owns Onan, has it Mfg for them, not Mfg in the Onan factory)
But the EMS should not be needed

The EMS protects against shore power outlets that are wired wrong, an open ground or neutral, utility power transient spike voltages, brown out low voltage that could damage appliances like the air conditioner or 120v fridge, etc..
Your Onan will shut down if overloaded, (does not create low voltage unless overloaded) and does not create transient spikes, won't have an open neutral or ground unless something comes loose due to vibration or damage
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The EMS wants to see neutral and ground bonded on the SERVICE side (park breaker panel) and most portable generators Ground is N/C since it's not needed and serves no purpose A bonding plug is easy to make

Or if you have a good Inverter Generator. Skip the Surge Guard when using the Generator. Same applies to ONAN RV generators. they self monitor and shut down if out of specs. At least mine did.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Sounds like the neutral and ground are not bonded. There needs to be a direct connection between neutral and ground.
Get a male 15/20 cord body. Install a jumper between the ground and neutral pins. Plug it into a receptacle.

A plug Like this one will solve your problem and make your EMS work properly.

Many inverter generators are not grounded,my Generac is, so no need for this plug.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the neutral and ground are not bonded. There needs to be a direct connection between neutral and ground.
Get a male 15/20 cord body. Install a jumper between the ground and neutral pins. Plug it into a receptacle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
Its a portable onan 3700. Maybe the EMS is not needed on the portable generator??? We always use it when plugging into shore power.
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it an inverter generator?