cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon. 5G in name only

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a 5G ready phone for about 5 months and have only seen it acquire 5G inside a Costco store and a couple of airports. That amazes me because, if you watch the Verizon tv ads, 5G is all you hear about, implying that it's something you can't afford to be without. I guess that maybe 20% of us that have a 5G phone actually benefit from it. That would be those of us that are located in major metropolises or traveling through a major airport. I live in the suburbs of Birmingham, AL. I realize that is not a major population area although there are a couple million people within 35 miles of my home. It is a more populous area than most US areas.

Don't go jumping for a 5G phone, thinking you will benefit. You, most likely won't, at least in the near future.
11 REPLIES 11

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 5G Samsung S-21 but I knew, when I bought it that I would probably never see 5G. All the updated phones seemed to be 5G. My old phone had a cracked screen and poor battery so I delegated it to my drone. I hated it when they stopped making phones that could have the battery swapped out easily. I always carried a spare. That's what made me an android user. My wife carries an Iphone 11 but neither of us has any experience with Apple. She has struggled and I don't even try.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikestock wrote:
My point is that cellular manufacturers emphasize that they have 5G capability when it means nothing to most of us and progress to expand to less populated areas seems slow. Ever having towers every 1000 feet throughout the country seems unlikely.

This is what Marketing and Sales 101 is all about.

Market it hard enough and everyone will buy into the idea that it is needed.

Yes, 5G is pushed hard by all cell companies via marketing advertisements but so is pretty much everything else we "consume" in life. Advertising and marketing is all about creating a market to sell to, out of nothing.

Buy something based solely on 5G promise right now and you will be disappointed.

If what you have works right now, don't bother getting a new phone just because a new phone has 5G capability. Simply wait until your existing phone is on it's death bed to consider a device with 5G capability and by that time 5G devices and service will be more the norm and be dirt cheap to buy.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not just Verizon. In spite of all the 5G hype, I just bought a new non 5G phone because I had already learned that while 5G is available "nationwide", it is only available in limited areas of that "nationwide". And in my area, not gonna happen for a long time. My new phone will be outdated before 5G is in my area.

But they all have to promote it to keep up with each other's sales hype.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
My point is that cellular manufacturers emphasize that they have 5G capability when it means nothing to most of us and progress to expand to less populated areas seems slow. Ever having towers every 1000 feet throughout the country seems unlikely.

5G arms race among providers. From all I've read on the topic, T Mobile seems to be leading the race. I'm a Verizon customer. Verizon and the other carriers seem to be focusing primarily on the downtown area of Orlando. In my suburban area, I've noticed 5G facilities along a major thoroughfare near us, mounted on tastefully colored metal poles no taller than a light pole. Hard to imagine the signal goes far. I also noticed fiber optic cable snaking up the poles to boxes mounted on them below the antenna. Must be a lot more computer gee whiz required to make it all work.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
5G, thus far, is pretty much a joke. You do see the 5G symbol but the speeds are nothing to get excited about. Here in Co. Springs, T-Mobile is showing 5G nearly everywhere but in some areas of downtown you can't even get a connection. The designation 5G only stands for 5th generation but doesn't actually indicate any particular level of service. I suppose if you actually find one of those Ultra Wideband cells you might have something.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's the real low-down on 5G networks from all vendors. In short, 5G hardware for good 4G service.
Clicky
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Don't stream video or upload/download data. Just use my phone primarily as a phone, go figure. Service is with Verizon, they keep bombing me with emails and text messages telling me life has no meaning until I have a 5G
phone and calling plan.....which from what I've seen on their website is the REAL reason for the overtures. Can't keep the plan I have if I get a 5G phone.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is T-Mobile and I've seen a whole lot of 5G
5G coverage is not 100%... yet in fact any-G is not 100% Yet
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The neighborhoods in Baton rouge are complaining about the ugly poles and antennas being installed. It seems that the city sold site locations for antennas and people don't want one on "their" corner or in front of their house. Early adopters always have the same complaints.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
:R

Old news.

Directly from Verizon's own website..

HERE

"5G Tower Range

In general, the 5G Ultra Wideband networkโ€™s signal can reach up to 1,500 feet without obstructions. Verizon is leveraging small cell technology to help deliver more 5G signal which directly increases the coverage and speed of the network. This means the 5G small cells will be deployed in a high concentration in 5G-enabled areas.

Before the end of 2019, Verizon introduced 5G Ultra Wideband to parts of over 30 cities around the United States.

"

So, in essence, to make "5G" available everywhere the entire country will need 5G "small cells" every 1,000 ft or about 1/3 a mile apart.

Guess where you are going to find the most likely highest concentration of these 5G cells?

Large population areas..

30 cities does not make for a useful cell network.

It will take many yrs before there will be a noticeably larger usable 5G footprint outside of major large population centers..

Compare that to 4G LTE which can span 4-5 miles between towers..

5G, not very cost effective to say the least for the cell companies to plant 5G towers out in the wilderness..