cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check those prices

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went out to buy oil filter, oil and fuel filters for my F350 and got the price of $178 at a national auto parts store who I suspect can not be named here but who has initials of AA. The major markup wos for the motorcraft fuel filters, $120 or so. I knew it could be had for $50 on Amazon so I refused to buy it. Actually you can get one for $25 on Amazon if you trust your engine to a chinese no name, which I do not. Ordered and had by noon the next day.
So watch those prices. I think this happened once before but I've been buying from Amazon mostly.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
22 REPLIES 22

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
I bought a maintenance contract with my truck. Dealer pays on oil changes.
It includes brakes and even windshield wipers!
I have them do my state inspections. They find anything wrong, they have to fix it either under warranty or the contract.

So, the polar opposite of someone who is being frugal by trying to save money on parts....
Interested what the high level coverage and cost of a dealer "maintenance contract" and the fine print.
That's like hiring someone to mow your lawn or clean your house. If you can afford the convenience, great, but don't ever pretend it's the "economical" way to go...

First time I ever did this. I figured with towing the TT Iโ€™d probably get two brake jobs during the contract and with the oil changes & required maintenance, Iโ€™d come close to breaking even $$.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dealer just had a $99.99 special for a diesel. New filter, oil, rotate tires, top off the other fluids. I could not pass that up. Last time I did my own, it cost me around that price, maybe more. It was worth it for the tire rotation. Now when it is time to change the fuel filters, I will do it myself.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boomerweps wrote:
I have them do my state inspections. They find anything wrong, they have to fix it either under warranty or the contract.

So, the polar opposite of someone who is being frugal by trying to save money on parts....
Interested what the high level coverage and cost of a dealer "maintenance contract" and the fine print.
That's like hiring someone to mow your lawn or clean your house. If you can afford the convenience, great, but don't ever pretend it's the "economical" way to go...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I use Motorcraft oil and filters for all of my vehicles. I pay $18 and change for 5 quarts of 15/40 diesel oil and $9 and change for diesel oil filter for F350 at Walmart. I realize same type of savings for my other three vehicles over the local parts stores.

I changed the oil and filter in my Johndeere lawnmower Friday and at the local Advance the filter was $15 plus change but they were out and it would be a next day delivery so they gave me the part number and I purchased it at NAPA for $9 plus change.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I've found that price differential quite a bit on different car parts.

Rock Auto is another good source.

That said, the brick and mortar stores do have overhead costs they have to pay (salary, rent, electric etc..). Amazon does too of course, but the scaling is different.

Was that $120 after the 20% off coupon you can routinely find online?

As far as Amazon switching to inferior/knock off parts, I've never seen that happen unless they paint them up to look like the real deal. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it.

I try to support my local AA store, especially if I need/want it today and they have it. After all, if online takes over the world, the local stores will be gone.

Mike
Amazon isn't consciously "switching" per se. Here's how it happens: Chinese factories make knockoffs that sometimes can't be visually distinguished from the real brand name items. A vendor secures a supply of these cheap fakes, signs up as an Amazon seller and arranges for Amazon to stock and ship his supply for him. Amazon warehouse workers combine his stock of fakes with other vendors' stocks of genuine product because the workers don't see any difference (to them it's all the same and fungible). Then, purchasers get shipped a random piece that might be fake or might be genuine.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
CrossFilters down in Florida has been supplying most of my filter needs, they stock a few different brands. I've been mostly using Donaldson, Fleetguard, Baldwin and HiFlo filters. I like the slightly better water rejection of the Baldwin water separator for my AirDog lift pump. Wix makes most of the air filters and the OEM's and auto parts stores just relabel the suckers. Genos Garage is great for Cummins/Ram supplies, not the cheapest, but very good quality name brand stuff, quick shipping. I got an Edge CTS3 gauge system from them next day here in Alabama. Being so close is nice, the FedEx Ground is like overnight air service here.

With the price difference I only shop at the local Oreilly's when I get in a bind, the Wix filters cost twice as much locally and then there is our 10% sales tax. I save lots of money avoiding the local auto parts stores for filters!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
I went out to buy oil filter, oil and fuel filters for my F350 and got the price of $178 at a national auto parts store who I suspect can not be named here but who has initials of AA. The major markup wos for the motorcraft fuel filters, $120 or so. I knew it could be had for $50 on Amazon so I refused to buy it. Actually you can get one for $25 on Amazon if you trust your engine to a chinese no name, which I do not. Ordered and had by noon the next day.
So watch those prices. I think this happened once before but I've been buying from Amazon mostly.

Well not a Ford, but I get my Ram/ Cummins filters from Genoโ€™s Garage, still not cheap, but known quality.
If you wasnโ€™t price deference, oil pressure sending unit on our 2001 Cummins 5.9 failed all of the chain parts houses wanted right at $200. I called Cummins NW in stock and $65!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I called the local RV parts store for a roof AC gasket and was quoted $39.95 plus tax. I ordered the gasket on Amazon for $20. I don't mind paying a little more to support local businesses but not 100% markup.

FordMastertech
Explorer
Explorer
I have found any of the local chain auto part stores way to expensive for oil, sometimes filters can be purchased on sale or with a discount coupon. It's tough to beat Walmart for items like this and they have quality brands of oil OEM filters on the shelf.
Tim & Donna :W
04 Prowler 830Y lots of mods 5200 lbs Axles 16 inch LT E tires
00 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD Pullrite Prodigy Autometer Gauges Magnaflow Exhaust DP Tuner Chip Terminator Big Oil :C

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Majority of automotive products I've purchased from dealership, independent, on-line, etc has 'Made in China' on the box these days...

But...there are knockoffs and haven't been able to tell...yet and agree with your filtering of Amazon's offerings

Good luck
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped using aftermarket (NAPA) fuel filters and only buy the OEM AC/Delco brand after an issue with my 5500. Perhaps they are all the same and it don't really matter (although the dealer claimed it did) but it makes me feel better.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II

I use RA for parts but they are slower on delivery, takes 4 or 5 days at the minimum. I have never had Amazon switch parts on me, but yes they sell cheap asian stuff like the $25 filter I mentioned. Caveat Emptor
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've found that price differential quite a bit on different car parts.

That said, the brick and mortar stores do have overhead costs they have to pay (salary, rent, electric etc..). Amazon does too of course, but the scaling is different.

Was that $120 after the 20% off coupon you can routinely find online?

As far as Amazon switching to inferior/knock off parts, I've never seen that happen unless they paint them up to look like the real deal. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it.

I try to support my local AA store, especially if I need/want it today and they have it. After all, if online takes over the world, the local stores will be gone.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS