Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250 or F350 to Haul a 5th Wheel???

Matias44
Explorer
Explorer
Hello-

I would appreciate your advice on the size of truck to haul a 5th wheel.

We are about to purchase our first 5th Wheel (2018 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH with GVWR 16750) for a multi-state 6month trip around the country with my wife and 2 daughters.

We are new to 5th wheels, but experienced campers/RVers.

We are looking for advice for the type of truck to safely haul this beast.

We've narrowed down to Ford.

Would you recommend an F350 or would an F250 be safe to haul up and down the mountains? Gas or diesel?

Thank you in advance!
tplinklogin
sarkari job
38 REPLIES 38

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Come out west like all the way west, not west from the east coast like Nebraska and see if you like dragging around 15,000 lbs with a gasser for a few years.

I would never own a trailer that weighted 15,000 lbs !

Well, I guess you are limiting trailer size. Loaded we are a bit over 19,000# trailer weight and a pin weight of 4100#.

Ken

Only 24k here with a 6k pin. No different towing than our 25, 28, 32.5 or 36' 5er's. Bigger truck as needed and the experience is the same.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Come out west like all the way west, not west from the east coast like Nebraska and see if you like dragging around 15,000 lbs with a gasser for a few years.

Well, I guess you are limiting trailer size. Loaded we are a bit over 19,000# trailer weight and a pin weight of 4100#.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
80% of the people towing 5th wheel travel trailers on the highway are doing so with a SRW truck. The dual rear wheel is needed to support the load when the weight of the 5th wheel mount on the bed of the truck is more than 4,000 lbs.

One advantage in the past with Ram and Chevy is that their 2500 and 3500 trucks used the same frame and brakes and drivetrain whereas Ford has had significant differences between its F-250 and F-350 trucks. Ford also makes two versions of the F-450 with one configured for heavy hauling and the other for heavy towing.

Don't overlook available fuel tanks and mounting for a 5th wheel trailer with a reinforced frame under the bed. Some cab configurations may not be available for one of the class trucks.

With a trailer load of more than 12,000 lbs a diesel engine is important for the extra torque it provides. With a 13,000 lb trailer load my Chevy 2500 with its diesel engine was able to safely merge with traffic when getting on the freeway and safely able to pass semi's going up grades and on open roads. The exhaust brake of the diesel trucks is also extremely helpful when going down steep grades with a heavy trailer.

Something else that is often overlooked but important is that a diesel pickup may get 11 mpg with a heavy trailer in tow but the gas engine powered one may get only 8 mpg. That makes a very big difference in how far one can travel on a full tank of fuel before having to make a stop to refuel.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Walking through our current RV park, there are way too many 3/4 ton trucks parked with BIG 5ers...42 and 42 feet, some 3 axle toyhaulers. When they come in, the poor truck is literally dragging-arse. I do not say a word to them unless they make a comment about handling or ride.

Some will comment about the constant chucking and it looks like many manufacturers are now moving the axles forward to put less pin weight on the truck. This is not good for ride comfort. Too light and you get the chucking very easily.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My tandem axle 5ver weighs about 15500 lbs and only has a pin weight of about 2600 lbs. Probably most triple axle units have lighter pins as well. The srw Fords have rear axle ratings of 7230 lbs and a pin weight of up to 3700 lbs would not overloaded the rear axle. In reality a f250 with air bags would probably handle a 3700 lb pin better than a f350 without bags.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickdog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
If youโ€™re looking at new, a srw gas would do. Iโ€™d want a diesel srw for that size trailer. If you opt for a 250 you might have to add air bags.

Would that trailer with a 250 with or without air bags pass inspection in Abberta?

In Alberta if an officer wanted to ticket you he would base whether you are overloaded or not on your tire weight ratings. The F350 and F 250 diesels both run the same tire options and would have no problem with a typical 17000 lb fiver.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
I would go with the new Ford Ranger or even the new Maverick if I did not want to go for overkill. Heck, you won't even know it is back there.

I concur.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
3500 or F350 Diesel. Every time!

If not today, then your next trailer never gets smaller.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go with the new Ford Ranger or even the new Maverick if I did not want to go for overkill. Heck, you won't even know it is back there.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
IMHO, diesel does have the power but it is not a cost effective option. Especially with the new 7.3L gas engine an 10 speed transmission. With the correct rear axle ratio you will have no problems in the mountains and you will save yourself over $10,000.

27k going down a several mile 6% grade without an exhaust brake, NO THANKS!!! Same goes for climbing that same grade with a gasser screaming at you, NO THANKS!!!

I can descend any grade along I-5 Border to Border at 35k combined without touching by service brakes and that is a really nice feeling having cool brakes if needed along the way.

I can also climb those grades and carry on a conversation without YELLING.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
IMHO, diesel does have the power but it is not a cost effective option. Especially with the new 7.3L gas engine an 10 speed transmission. With the correct rear axle ratio you will have no problems in the mountains and you will save yourself over $10,000.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Don't kid yourself. Yes there have been improvements to gassers especially the 10 speed tranny. However a gas engine is not a substitute for a diesel at that weight.
16k GVW puts you in diesel territory, especially if there are mountains involved. At 16K an exhaust brake is also a very worthwhile feature

I agree 100%, the exhaust braking capabilities alone is worth the extra $$ for the Diesel! And donโ€™t kid yourself, Dieselโ€™s have not been just sitting around do nothing while the gassers were improving! Definitely Diesel, especially if you going to pull thru the mountains!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Don't kid yourself. Yes there have been improvements to gassers especially the 10 speed tranny. However a gas engine is not a substitute for a diesel at that weight.
16k GVW puts you in diesel territory, especially if there are mountains involved. At 16K an exhaust brake is also a very worthwhile feature
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide