Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: F250 or F350 to Haul a 5th Wheel???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> F250 or F350 to Haul a 5th Wheel???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

Myself I'd get a gas 350 single. Don't have to fight the hips of a dually around town. Save about 750 lbs with the 7.3 motor. Diesel makes sense if you'll put 300,000 miles on the motor otherwise the upfront costs/maintence costs are just to much.

SRW at 17k with a 4,200# pin. Seriously???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

If you’re looking at new, a srw gas would do. I’d want a diesel srw for that size trailer. If you opt for a 250 you might have to add air bags.

Yes but you are North of the Border. [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Coach-man wrote:

With that weighty out will need a one ton vehicle. If you insist on a Ford, a 450 would be a better option. Check out a RAM 3500, when a truck gets picked as “car of the year”, they are trying to tell you something!,

RAM car of the year,your not serious are you? Drive through any RV park and count, Ford will out number any other brand. My 1st SD was a 1999 and I still drive them. I try to stay in SRW weights as I do not want the dully and extra tires. At 16K he will need a dully and the F450 would be a good choice for better turning that the F350's

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/best-1-ton-pickup-trucks/

Try trolling full timers RV Parks you will find RAM and GM the top picks. Weekend warrior parks you are correct.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, diesel does have the power but it is not a cost effective option. Especially with the new 7.3L gas engine an 10 speed transmission. With the correct rear axle ratio you will have no problems in the mountains and you will save yourself over $10,000.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP is a new member and asked a serious question yesterday about a safe tow a 16750 gvwr 5th wheel trailer with a F250 or F350.
He may be like many folks and doesn't live on the website so relax and give the guy time to respond. The troll remark can run many new members off
The F250 and F350 srw diesel won't have any issues pulling that size trailer in the mountains but neither has enough rear suspension for a trailer that size that may have 3800-4000 lb pin weight. Then throw in the hitch and other gear the guy needs while making his USA tour will over load both vehicle rear suspension (a tire or wheel or rear spring pack).

This size trailer need the F350 DRW diesel for a safe tow in the mountains. The diesel will far out perform the gas going up and coming down.
And with 10k rawr the drw has plenty of tire/wheel and rear spring pack to carry pin weight...hitch...and all the gear you will need for your gonna' be doing.

Anywayz .....Matias44, welcome to the forum. Like all rv forums on the net you won't get a consensus on any question especially about weights issues.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

IMHO, diesel does have the power but it is not a cost effective option. Especially with the new 7.3L gas engine an 10 speed transmission. With the correct rear axle ratio you will have no problems in the mountains and you will save yourself over $10,000.

Don't kid yourself. Yes there have been improvements to gassers especially the 10 speed tranny. However a gas engine is not a substitute for a diesel at that weight.
16k GVW puts you in diesel territory, especially if there are mountains involved. At 16K an exhaust brake is also a very worthwhile feature

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Don't kid yourself. Yes there have been improvements to gassers especially the 10 speed tranny. However a gas engine is not a substitute for a diesel at that weight.
16k GVW puts you in diesel territory, especially if there are mountains involved. At 16K an exhaust brake is also a very worthwhile feature

I agree 100%, the exhaust braking capabilities alone is worth the extra $$ for the Diesel! And don’t kid yourself, Diesel’s have not been just sitting around do nothing while the gassers were improving! Definitely Diesel, especially if you going to pull thru the mountains!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Come out west like all the way west, not west from the east coast like Nebraska and see if you like dragging around 15,000 lbs with a gasser for a few years.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Come out west like all the way west, not west from the east coast like Nebraska and see if you like dragging around 15,000 lbs with a gasser for a few years.

27k going down a several mile 6% grade without an exhaust brake, NO THANKS!!! Same goes for climbing that same grade with a gasser screaming at you, NO THANKS!!!

I can descend any grade along I-5 Border to Border at 35k combined without touching by service brakes and that is a really nice feeling having cool brakes if needed along the way.

I can also climb those grades and carry on a conversation without YELLING.

Campinfan

Washtenaw County, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with the new Ford Ranger or even the new Maverick if I did not want to go for overkill. Heck, you won't even know it is back there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> F250 or F350 to Haul a 5th Wheel???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.