cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had an osh-t moment and now looking for replacement

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally totaled my 2012 adventurer which I loved, (the story is too long to go into here), now I'm looking to get another TC. I'm going "used" and need something with a wet bath, large fresh water capacity, no more than 1 slide. I'M NOT TRYING TO START A WAR HERE, but would like some input from owners of other good brands. I'll worry about price when I pin down what I want. I.ve got an F350 dually.
15 REPLIES 15

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rather than limit yourself to one brand/model that hardly ever comes up for sale, why not look at what's out there on the market? A used camper in good shape is a used camper in good shape, regardless of who built it, or when it was built.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
Arctic Fox 811 long bed version. I had one for 10.734 years. Loved it.

Ditto on the AF. Have had 2 different AF860s. First an aluminum frame one and then an older wood frame. Couldn't tell the difference. Both performed as good as expected with minimal issues and no major problems. Although if I had a long bed, I would have preferred at least a 99x model in lieu of a 8xx model.

PS, having trouble figuring out how long you owned your camper, you know, exactly. Were there 2 leap years or 3 during your tenure as owner? LOL

Edit, nevermind, saw your sig with the exact purchase date....that clears it up!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Arctic Fox 811 long bed version. I had one for 10.734 years. Loved it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
Went with a buddy a week ago to look at a 2004 Alpenlite cheyenne model. Great shape outside and in but a little dated as it should be. Had generator and a couple of solar panels along with a dry bath which kinda made the inside smaller than we hoped. They were asking 19.5k. So we went to breakast to decide on weather or not for him to purchase and he starts to check his phone , and RV trader... Come to find out a guy up in Oxnard has got a 2006 AF 990 he needs to sell and he says everything is good. So we tell him to hold it and if it checks out it's sold.
We then drive 4 1/2 hrs (traffic!) to get there and lo and behold it's dirty and pretty stock. Slideout goes in and out no problems. Generator works fine, A/C is ice cold, furnace and t-stat works good. Frig and freezer are ok along with the stove and oven. ALL the jacks work too. A few corner moldings need some screws and sealing but overall its a 10 structural wise. Oh yeah price is 10.9k. We load the thing up on my buddys truck and drive it home, less traffic thank goodness. Dated interior so my friend is probably gonna drop another 5-7k in upgrades and he's in fat city. Just when it seems like every piece of junk is overpriced and selling like hot cakes sometimes you can find a gem in the rough. Oh and I might be biased, I have a 2019 AF990 and love it. Good luck on your search.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 990.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not hardly any weight for the second slide in the case of a Host. If I remember right on the build sheet for mine, it was 250 lbs. You replace larger cabinets with framing and they are usually not very deep considering both slides are generally across from each other in a two slide model. Also, a shorter slide camper feels much bigger than a longer one that only has one slide. You’ll also have less overhang which makes towing a simpler issue to solve.

You’ll gain more weight by going a foot longer compared to a second small slide with all else being equal. Also, some brands are heavier than others, so a two slide model could be lighter than a different brand one slide.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Weight

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do have one question though. Why limit yourself to “one” slide? The second slide is usually small and light compared to the first one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
These:
1: Bigfoot
2: Bigfoot
3: Northern Lite
4: Cirrus
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
daily double wrote:
I accidentally totaled my 2012 adventurer which I loved, (the story is too long to go into here), now I'm looking to get another TC. I'm going "used" and need something with a wet bath, large fresh water capacity, no more than 1 slide. I'M NOT TRYING TO START A WAR HERE, but would like some input from owners of other good brands. I'll worry about price when I pin down what I want. I.ve got an F350 dually.

My only suggestion is to forget whatever the users here may recommend as there might be limited selection near you or within distance/time your willing to travel to view/inspect a used camper.

A few years ago I went with a friend while they looked at used campers. Out of the 6 that we both looked at none of them were worthy of making a offer on.

Rather sadly RV prices (new AND used) have gone crazy this year so best to have your pocket book handy when (and IF) you come across something you like.

- Mark0.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Host.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You said no more than one slide so I'll suggest no slide Northstar.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cannot make suggestion since my past campers were all hardside.

Am only responding to hope that no one was hurt and perhaps someday you will enlighten us as to what happened.
Folks might be able to take away from your mishap so that they will not do the same thing.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ This.
Just start looking for TCs. As I recall, AF tank capacities are on the upper end of TCs.

And sorry for your loss.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold