Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: new camper needs help!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> new camper needs help!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A popup is a good suggestion for starting out on a budget. It provides a significant improvement in comfort and convenience over a tent, while being pretty friendly on the budget. (A tent is, of course, also a viable and very economical option.)

As motorhomes go, class C's are relatively economical to keep operating as far as the chassis goes. The majority are built on Ford van chassis, and parts and service for them are readily available and comparatively affordable, and the chassis themselves are pretty reliable with basic routine maintenance. That being said, the routine maintenance is not free, and it's wise to expect some will need to be done sooner or later--probably sooner--for most any used unit you get that's more than a very few years old. Tires often need replacement due to age rather than treadwear, after around seven years or so. Brakes often need service for similar reasons.

The rest of a motorhome, the house part and its systems, will generally need some more or less constant tinkering and fixing of minor odds and ends. If you're handy, or willing to become handy, a lot of that can be done on one's own. You basically are getting a cheaply-constructed apartment that is subjected to continuous seismic activity when you're traveling, and that's rough on things.

That all being said, there is something very special about travel in a motorhome. Having everything you need for a home at hand in your vehicle is just a really cool and handy thing. Pulling over to get a glass of water, or a snack, or use the restroom, or whatever is extremely convenient.

I've generally found that traveling by car and staying in a motel is cheaper if I'm only staying someplace for a few days. For several days or a week or more at a destination, taking the motorhome often becomes more economical: the cost of gas is made up for by the savings in a campground vs. a motel. It's often not fair to compare them, though, as it's a different way to travel and some wonderful places to camp just don't have other lodging convenient (or vice-versa). But, for travel on a quite tight budget, an RV in my opinion doesn't make the most sense in a great many cases.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dad advice. A broke single mom with two kids doesn't need a camper of any kind.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Dad advice. A broke single mom with two kids doesn't need a camper of any kind.

Grandpa agrees with Dad .

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelmom92 wrote:

Hi Everyone, new here so please dont get on my case.

For perspective, Im a broke single parent who is ok with skimping on cosmetics as long as the bugger runs and doesn't have too much trouble. I am not even sure where to start, but I would like a class c to travel locally and long distances. I have a 6 and 3 year old who love exploring! Basically - can any of you be my cool dad and just tell me what to do/what to buy in a tight budget? haha.

Thank you so much!

travelmom92,

Welcome to the wonderful world of RV's

A brief history of a 1987 class C.

Cost $6000.00

I put aside $0.25 cents per mile to cover repairs. On days I did not drive, I put $10 in the pot.

Almost every trip, something broke. Usually the something was beyond my abilities to repair.

I did drive it 100,000 miles--but in the end--I had to start repairing things that had already been repaired.

I'd suggest a tent.

Add a "cooking station" to your vehicle.

If you must have an RV then please consider a pop up.

What ever you do buy, look for water leaks.

#2 look harder for water leaks

#3 look even HARDER for water leaks.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the guys that recommended pop-ups, wouldn't an older TT be a good option as well?

Local pop-up $5800

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve owned a class c for the last 12 years, as they get older they need more maintenance. It’s always something, tires, battery, engine work. It all adds up, if your good mechanically and creative an older used trailer would be best. A pop up inst a bad way to start, but everything needs fixing

Winnebago Access 24V

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not much money = not a motorized RV. A Class C RV, especially an older one, is likely going to be a money pit.

I small trailer would be my best advice. Just be sure your Expedition can pull it. You can look a tear drops and pop-ups.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This not not your dad. My comments are friendly advice and are not to be taken as a lecture.
RV'ing is not a broke person's game. In the long run RV'ing is costly and should only be done by those with funds to spare. Otherwise it will not be an enjoyable experience

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think mom has left the stage but I vote for a TT with bunks. Her expedition should handle a 22 footer, maybe less.

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my wife and I were short of funds we used two tents (one for use by my wife and I and one for our boy and two sheepdogs. Add in a Coleman cookstove and an insulated cooler and a stainless coffee percolator and we were good to go and we used this setup for 10 years.

Buying a small Burro type trailer and learning how to hook it up and tow it safely and adding all the stuff inside is not all that much easier than pitching a tent and firing up a cookstove and pulling out a couple of lanterns.

Go to the nearest state or national park campground and take a look at what people are using and talk to them about how much they spent to get started.

A separate benefit of tent camping is that you can use any one of the campsites in any campground which is not true with trailers and motorhomes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> new camper needs help!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.