Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Bonehead Blunder, I'm an idiot!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Bonehead Blunder, I'm an idiot!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something I learned from flying, always use a checklist and ALWAYS do activities in the same order. If something gets out of order, START OVER and do it again. Even that's not perfect. Friend was a 747 check pilot and watched an experienced crew got things out of order, and they missed a major check item, landing gear down and locked. He told them to run the checklist again, and sat there in amazement when they "mouthed" the words and missed it again. They went back for recurrent training.

I've tried to maintain the same walk around discipline, what am I supposed to be checking here, and actually touch the item to confirm it's correct.

I've never done complete mental walk around when stopped for a short period of time, but given the example above that someone took the clip off, maybe I should change that up.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sooooo glad that didn’t come apart on you, OP. Although it does appear to be very close.

A double dose of dope slap is certainly warranted in this case.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't even cross the safety chains! You need to do this to cradle the hitch if it does come loose!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

It's all because you are a good citizen and had your covid vaccinations.

INCREDIBLE !!!!!!!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Bob...don't be so hard on yourself!!

You are a very capable person! Many on these forums could not take a great pic of the problem, and get it posted properly.

I will suggest that you stick with TTs, as a FW not hitched properly, can get very expensive! [emoticon]

Jerry

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

You didn't even cross the safety chains! You need to do this to cradle the hitch if it does come loose!

If only I could....
Both chains come off the same welded steel loop. Crossing them does nothing, they hang crossed at the back connection point. No cradle.
I've tried several ways of hooking them.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Something I learned from flying, always use a checklist and ALWAYS do activities in the same order. If something gets out of order, START OVER and do it again. Even that's not perfect. Friend was a 747 check pilot and watched an experienced crew got things out of order, and they missed a major check item, landing gear down and locked. He told them to run the checklist again, and sat there in amazement when they "mouthed" the words and missed it again. They went back for recurrent training.

I've tried to maintain the same walk around discipline, what am I supposed to be checking here, and actually touch the item to confirm it's correct.

I've never done complete mental walk around when stopped for a short period of time, but given the example above that someone took the clip off, maybe I should change that up.

Right, the checklists were mandatory. Using the instrument panel, or camper/hitch, as the checklist works, too.

Five items to check when hooking up my 5’er. Then an unhurried walk around, twice, looking for extended jacks, open windows, unlatched doors, slides and awning fully retracted, lights and rear camera working.

When the inevitable campground neighbor comes by to chat (distraction), the process starts from the beginning.

I do the same checks during every stop along the way.

Happy Trails and Safe Travels!

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

I have done some stupid things in my time, made some serious mistakes, but this one is really a major screw up on my part.

How could I have done such an idiotic thing?

How?
You answered your question in the first sentence: "I have done some stupid things in my time, made some serious mistakes"

It's just what you do.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking about my routine -

I hold the receiver pin in a hand while I install the hitch. On my more absent minded days I’ll stand there looking at it after I slide the hitch in and say “oh ya, this holds the hitch on the truck…”

I do have the walk around and look over the outfit habit from learning to fly a airplane, riding motorbikes, running ag machines, driving commercial trucks but absolutely mostly from what can find it’s way to falling off an RV in motion…

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Final inspection is a MUST.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Bonehead Blunder, I'm an idiot!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.