Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Bonehead Blunder, I'm an idiot!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Bonehead Blunder, I'm an idiot!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Campinfan

Washtenaw County, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made a checklist for my FW when I hook up and disconnect. Then I laminated it and keep it in the center console of my truck. Why? Because I was not immune to doing something stupid. In fact, I have done it on other things so much that I decided to make this sheet before I hooked up the first time. Even now I force myself to review the list. We have all done it so join the club.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found myself thinking about this when I went to grab the truck and boat trailer from the parking lot last night to load the boat back up and checked, probably for the first time ever, that someone didn’t remove any of the cotter pins, clips or locking pins on the hitch connection!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once towed a dual ski jet ski trailer with two jet ski's loaded to the lake about 35 miles from the house and forgot to latch the hitch ball lock. I understand your panic.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Found myself thinking about this when I went to grab the truck and boat trailer from the parking lot last night to load the boat back up and checked, probably for the first time ever, that someone didn’t remove any of the cotter pins, clips or locking pins on the hitch connection!
I guess if we all remind each other of our mistakes we make, we can collectively become better at checking things!

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then there was the time a phone call came as I was getting ready to leave. It was important. After the call, I merrily towed 100 feet of #12 extension cord for about 2 miles. Finally some one got my attention and I rolled it up. No plug ends committed suicide, either.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Then there was the time a phone call came as I was getting ready to leave. It was important. After the call, I merrily towed 100 feet of #12 extension cord for about 2 miles. Finally some one got my attention and I rolled it up. No plug ends committed suicide, either.

Last phone call, help a kid fix something, multitask multiple maint items at the same time, wife asking if we wanted to go to friends house that night, etc combination left one of 2 oil drain plugs on my snowbike apparently only hand tight. Which apparently is good enough for about 20 minutes of run time or 10 miles form the trailer, uphill in 3' of powder at 11,000rpms before the drain plug falls out!

Fortunately, the piston squirter is the first thing to run out of oil when the oil gets low and at said rpms apparently heats up much faster than the cylinder causing a very hot "cold seize" or "4 point stick" condition, which only resulted in damage to the piston and cylinder, killing the engine before valvetrain or bottom end damage occured.

Campinfan

Washtenaw County, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't it funny how we all tell on ourselves? Sometimes I wish I would keep my mouth shut, but no, I have to tell someone what a big mistake I made.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever found yourself sitting in your car in your driveway wondering to yourself if you just got home or was fixing to go somewhere?

Or found yourself in the bedroom holding your pants in your hands wondering if you had just removed them or was fixing to put them on?

Or be standing in the bathroom wondering why you came in there?

I have a friend who's MD prescribed memory pill for him but he forgets to take them.

Life becomes a challenge as we mature.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Bonehead Blunder, I'm an idiot!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.