cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just an observation and wondering

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven the Toyota Prius when they first came on the market years ago. I liked it and it ran fine with no problems, even in the summer.
If, there is nothing (NO engine) but an electric motor to make these new electric cars go, what powers the A/C and on these days here in the South with 90 percent humidity and 90 degrees?
I guess I am just old school and don't understand how this kind of setup could be of value for anything other than driving to the market and back.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
14 REPLIES 14

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I think every one is missing the specific technology of the Prius. It is a hybrid - meaning it has a small gas fired engine in addition to the electric drive motor and batteries. The energy dissipated from the brakes, wheels turning and the gas engine rotation, recharges the batteries. The control computer decides which is better suited (for performance and effeciency) which drive system is better and switches back and forth between them automatically. The AC works as described above.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
AND...
I just read (unconfirmed) that PG&E is asking people to not recharge their electric cars because of demand caused by the heat wave.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suspect that your pacemaker is not going to be bothered by Inductive charging systems but the key word is "SUSPECT" but the reason is a frequency (Or wave length) thing. I suspect the inductive system is using frequencies below 500 HZ. and the odds of that affecting your pace maker are close to zero. But again Odds and Close to .

What is the relation between Frequency and wave length 300,000,000, 500 HZ is 600,000 meters, so a quarter wave antenna would be 150,000 meters long. A bit longer than the leads on your pacemaker.

But again. I suspect, odds, and so on, I'm not an expert on pacemakers...yet. (Doc says I might become one though)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Boston Scientific forbids me to go near an arc welder, battery charger, or alternator. My pacemaker was switched off during torso body scans via an MRI. So here we have John Q Public keel over at an inductive charging station. Diagnosis? Heart failure. That's all an "attorney" needs to pursue deep pockets municipal entities.
I would advise caution in chortling about new age devices dependent on electromagnetic induction force. It takes but one legal precedent to upset the planning applecart. This is why a current health issue is hotly debated because of divestiture of liability.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Only vaguely related but an example of how well inductive charging can work is the Disneyland Submarines. When they were brought back a few years ago, they removed the diesel engines and made everything electric - propulsion, AC, special effects, etc.
They recharge when parked in the boarding area taking on passengers.
I think we'll eventually see inductive charging surfaces for home and office use. They aren't quite as efficient but people who are willing to pay for convenience will jump on them.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
even in non hybrids electric power steering, and even AC, brake booster, water pump etc. are becoming common. reduces engine drag, only operates when needed, improves fuel economy. No reason to run the power steering when stopped, and less assist is needed at higher speeds,

On our acura mdx hybrid everything typically driven off the serpentine belt is GONE, all now electric.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
I have driven the Toyota Prius when they first came on the market years ago. I liked it and it ran fine with no problems, even in the summer.
If, there is nothing (NO engine) but an electric motor to make these new electric cars go, what powers the A/C and on these days here in the South with 90 percent humidity and 90 degrees?
I guess I am just old school and don't understand how this kind of setup could be of value for anything other than driving to the market and back.
Separate electric motor drives the A/C. In many EVs the cooling system also serves as a heat pump when needed. The A/C with a separate motor is more efficient as the compressor can be driven at the correct speed instead of up and down at the engine speed. The cooling system in most EVs also cools the battery when needed. The cooling system works quite well using about 5% of the range in hot conditions. EV can be pre-cooled or pre-heated before you drive using utility power if connected. Even inside your closed garage.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
News on the EV front! Long Beach California charges its city buses by....picking up passengers. Wireless technology has improved so much, charging is as simple as pulling up and..that's it. Just like a smart phone (not mine) or watch, you can charge effortlessly. The charging system is embedded in the road. This will become more widespread soon....mostly in metropolitan ares, of course.

It's highly doubtful that it will become too widespread. Inductive charging is significantly less efficient than a direct electrical connection (especially at the distances the bus is from the pavement, and the imprecision in its stopping), and having a big enough electromagnet there to supply a usable amount of charge very quickly starts to make things look and act like an induction range or MRI machine. I bet the majority of the charging for the busses still happens at the depot during off hours.

Wireless charging makes a lot more sense for razors, toothbrushes, cell phones, and similar low power devices.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
News on the EV front! Long Beach California charges its city buses by....picking up passengers. Wireless technology has improved so much, charging is as simple as pulling up and..that's it. Just like a smart phone (not mine) or watch, you can charge effortlessly. The charging system is embedded in the road. This will become more widespread soon....mostly in metropolitan ares, of course.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Just like current Chevy 1500 truck power steeringโ€ฆelectricity. See a pattern here?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DC Compressor for A/C Unit

DC Heater Element/grid for Heat
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
The same battery that motorvates you from point A to point B, but in the summer, they better be closer together, with fewer traffic standstills.

Correct, in hot or cold weather your mileage between recharges will decrease by about 50%. Just one of the things they don't tell you in the advertising, like for every 10mph you drive over 35mph your recharge mileage decreases by 8%. So when you drive 65mph your recharge mileage is decreased by 24% from the advertised optimum mileage between recharges.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The same battery that motorvates you from point A to point B, but in the summer, they better be closer together, with fewer traffic standstills.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It (AC) runs on an electric motor.