Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: rent a car
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My turn to rant. So we make a reservation for a rental car at Enterprise for pick up on a friday at 1 pm. when we arrive they tell us they have zero cars. i think how can that be, we have a reservation. they inform us people call to extend there rentals at the last moment which leaves them with no cars. Does this sound like a good business model? after calling other branches hour and half later they find 1 for us.

* This post was edited 06/21/21 04:17pm by an administrator/moderator *

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

My turn to rant. So we make a reservation for a rental car at Enterprise for pick up on a friday at 1 pm. when we arrive they tell us they have zero cars. i think how can that be, we have a reservation. they inform us people call to extend there rentals at the last moment which leaves them with no cars. Does this sound like a good business model? after calling other branches hour and half later they find 1 for us.

https://youtu.be/4T2GmGSNvaM

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not unusual, especially now. Doesn't make it right. A contract is a contract.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a tight market, especially down here amid all the " worlds" in Central Florida. For fun I checked prices at a neighborhood Enterprise office, not near or within an airport. The cheapest econobox is renting for $400 a week, full size SUV's up to and including Suburbans & Expeditions an eye popping $1200 a week.... all based on availability, of course.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

If the rental company allows a customer to extend the rental, then they must find you a car for your reservation. You shouldn’t have to wait, the car should be there!
Imagine driving 2-3 days only to find that the campground allowed someone to extend their stay, knowing fair well that you were driving a distance and expecting the campsite for the next week? Ridiculous.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a tough situation.

To play devil's advocate, though, there isn't really much the rental agency can do if someone doesn't bring their car back when they expect them to. It's not really practical for them to go out and find the car and tow it back, certainly not in time for you to use it expeditiously. To some extent, they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't a perfect world be nice. There have been dozens of articles about the rental companies having no cars. The virus hit... they had no customers...they sold much of their inventory. Rental cars come back in need and they now can't buy new cars because of chip shortages. Many of them have gone so far as to buy used cars for their inventory and now used cars are too expensive to buy.

Sometimes businesses just can't accomplish what they would like to make happen simply because it is beyond their ability and control to do so. But, the customer is always right and always perfect...LOL!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rental companies sold the a good portion of their inventories during the pandemic in order to stay afloat. In the past they may have had extra cars laying around for people who unexpectedly extended. On top of selling existing cars new car inventory is also at a premium in many cases so replacing them is difficult.

machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jallen4, not saying i am perfect. just venting over the fact that we had a reservation. how would you feel if you showed up for a campsite with a reservation, and they told you they had no open site because the other people extendend there stay

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.