cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire wear

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
The rear tires on my Fifth wheel are wearing on the insides edges of the tires.
The right side tire has worn to where the wear bars are flush with the tread.
The left side tire no tread or wear bars on the inside edge out to the second tread groove. No threads showing.
They tires are 5 rs old and have approx 15 thousands mile on them.
Why the wear on the inside of the tires.

Fifth wheel is a 2018 Columbus Compass.
9 REPLIES 9

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
From what you guys have said it looks like i will have the trailer axles aligned at the end of the season.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
$613.17 latter I have 4 new tires on the 5vr. The date code for the tires is 4920 . I had metal valve stems put in so I can use a TPMS system with the tires.
I plan on having the axle checked when I put the camper away at the end of the season.

5 years old - they were needing replacement anyway. I had a similar wear pattern on mine after a long trip via I5 from So Calif to Oregon and back. The roads were very torn up in places and under construction in others - I believe to this day that trip kicked the axles out of alignment. I noticed the uneven wear (also inside wear) when we got home. I replaced my tires (like yours, they needed to be replaced anyway). And, I took the trailer to a commercial trailer alignment place and had the axles aligned. I think it cost in the neighborhood of $300 or so.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Need to get an alignment.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
$613.17 latter I have 4 new tires on the 5vr. The date code for the tires is 4920 . I had metal valve stems put in so I can use a TPMS system with the tires.
I plan on having the axle checked when I put the camper away at the end of the season.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The rear tires take the brunt of tight turns. They're pretty much dragged all over the place vs the fronts that have no extra stress on them. The fronts are like the axle and tires on a utility trailer, they just follow the truck.

I'v had those wear issues on 3 trailers I've owned. All 3 had different axle manufactures. AL-CO, Dexter and Lippert. Everyone needed an alignment at around 10,000 miles.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We went through that several years ago, so much we had the tires inspected annualy and always had to replace one or two. We were not overloaded as we did all the weighing. Axles good, as get those inspected annually too, but at the recommendation of our tech, we had the alignment checked and one of the axles was off enough to cause the incorrect wear. We did upgrade our tires in load range and haven't had a problem since with our inspections.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
5vr is level when being towed. I have scaled the camper when fully loaded and it was not over loaded. I have not weigh the individual axles though.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
worn pins and bushings.....bent axle tube or spindles. Several reason tire wear like you mention happens.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Overloaded...underinflated....alignment

When Hooked up is 5vr LEVEL or running Nose High?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31