Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck - family of 5 and 65lb dog
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck - family of 5 and 65lb dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based upon ride differences between our Nash and the cedar creek before the Nash I suspect the ride softens as the TT weight approaches the GVWR of the TT much like the ride softens on trucks as they are loaded and approach the GVWR.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone remember when it was cool to ride in the pick up bed? Or put a large tarp in the bed and fill it with water?
AHHHHHH, the good old days and the scars to prove it.
I know, off topic.....

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

If it’s unreasonable to put even a pet in a reasonable condition (riding in a RV) then how do they sell sooooo many motorhomes?

Because, as we all know, motorhomes and travel trailers are exactly the same. It's not like a motorhome rides on a truck chassis and is designed for a comfortable ride, with passengers in mind, and a travel trailer takes none of those considerations into account... Nope, they're EXACTLY the same.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

......comfortable ride for passengers sitting on seats which have foam & springs to soften the ride. How comfortable would the ride be for passengers on a hard seat (no foam & springs) attached to the truck chassis (like sitting the floor)?

* This post was edited 07/09/21 07:56am by BCSnob *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Dog will probably climb on the couch if you’re not watching. They’ll be comfortable!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Putting a dog or cat in a kennel and putting them in the trailer would not be a bad ride for the animal - where do you think horses ride? Back in the 1980's I rode more than once in the front of a gooseneck horse trailer from Western WA to Boise. Not a bad ride at all. We laid on the bed and even had a small port-a-potty if needed. More recently had a sick horse that we had to haul about 4 hours to the vet. She was trying to lay down so I rode in the trailer for over an hour to try to keep her up. Not talking about the issues with the horse, the ride was not bad at all. You can't tell speed and can't feel most curves. However, you really feel the start and especially the stop. The exhaust brake on our Diesel truck can hit hard on some decelerations and I really felt that. The only issue is heat, but only an issue if a hot day, an open window can solve that. Other than that, if an accident occurs you most certainly will lose the pet. Same problem with horses and people haul them all over the country. I think a horse trailer is built much better than an RV, but they look pretty bad after an accident.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Putting a dog or cat in a kennel and putting them in the trailer would not be a bad ride for the animal - where do you think horses ride? Back in the 1980's I rode more than once in the front of a gooseneck horse trailer from Western WA to Boise. Not a bad ride at all. We laid on the bed and even had a small port-a-potty if needed. More recently had a sick horse that we had to haul about 4 hours to the vet. She was trying to lay down so I rode in the trailer for over an hour to try to keep her up. Not talking about the issues with the horse, the ride was not bad at all. You can't tell speed and can't feel most curves. However, you really feel the start and especially the stop. The exhaust brake on our Diesel truck can hit hard on some decelerations and I really felt that. The only issue is heat, but only an issue if a hot day, an open window can solve that. Other than that, if an accident occurs you most certainly will lose the pet. Same problem with horses and people haul them all over the country. I think a horse trailer is built much better than an RV, but they look pretty bad after an accident.

Look at this guy being all reasonable about animals. I think lots of folks would be more broken up over losing a good horse than the family dog or cat... [emoticon]

I would agree that stock trailers typically have much stouter frames. The upper portion isn't going to fare too well depending on the accident though. Not that camper trailers do either.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you know there are dog trailers, PU slide in dog boxes, chassis mounted dog rigs, and purposely built adoption trailers for transporting dogs?

Ever wonder how sled dogs, pack hounds, racing greyhounds, gun dogs, stock dogs, etc get from their home to the events; or rescue dogs get from the kennel/pound to the adoption event in front of a store? People have been coming up with safe solutions for transporting dogs for decades (including in trailers) since there are people who have been transporting more dogs than the typical RVer.

Competing in stock dog events I get to see a wide range of solutions to transporting multiple dogs to events and I get to discuss the pros and cons with those using these solutions.

I periodically see a PU with a 2 level chassis mounted dog box hauling a 2 level dog trailer on the roads here. My guess this rig is transporting a hound pack. We live in an area where there are fox hunts.

* This post was last edited 07/10/21 07:19am by BCSnob *   View edit history

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, Fern & Hattie
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long Long Honeymoon video on "Can Someone Ride In a Trailer?"

READ THE COMMENTS, YOU WILL LEARN MORE THAN WHATS IN THE VIDEO, SOME PRETTY GOOD STORIES.

* This post was edited 07/12/21 08:39pm by CharlesinGA *

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, youtube comments are a GREAT place to learn things... NOT.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck - family of 5 and 65lb dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.