Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can tires be off ground on auto leveling system?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can tires be off ground on auto leveling system?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It happens on ours from time to time. Never an issue. I have never even heard of an issue on this forum or any others. Not saying something can't happen, but I've never read of one.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

when we pulled into our campground yesterday, the auto-leveling system was off a bit. I had to raise one side a bit and then noticed that two of the tires on one side were between 1/4 and 1/2 inch off the ground.
I don't feel comfortable with this, but since this is the third time out with our 5th wheel, I wanted to know if this is acceptable, or if I need to make some adjustments.

Mine does the same when leveling parked diagonally in my driveway. Left tires are both lifted an inch or two off the ground. Several days at a time and no problems noted.

I’ve seen class A coaches with front wheels off the ground when leveled on some of the spots at our winter runaway park for extended periods.

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe most manufacturers recommend against it.

Also, there is a difference between it lifting off the ground for a few seconds and living with it off the ground. As someone mentioned, there is little or no lateral support. Have a storm roll thru with strong winds or get a little rambunctious with the Missus and don't be surprised if they wind up bent.

Far better to support the tires and use them as stabilizers as they are intended.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's best to have all wheels on the ground or blocks for stability. Most unhitched multiple axle trailers that I've seen use scissor jacks which are a substitute brake.

Once movement of a raised RV starts it will continue until counter forces stop it at which point there may be damage.

Plus even 1/2" off of the ground means there is about a 6" drop before the suspension places the full weight on the tires.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always get a chuckle when this topic is mentioned. A tire "Just Touching" is ok but a tire 1/4" off the ground is not.

These things are designed to have all or part of the tires off the ground, it isn't going to hurt anything.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I believe most manufacturers recommend against it."

Of course they do, it's a CYA no different B&W saying to do a pull test that is not needed.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I always get a chuckle when this topic is mentioned. A tire "Just Touching" is ok but a tire 1/4" off the ground is not.

These things are designed to have all or part of the tires off the ground, it isn't going to hurt anything.

If it really is just touching (you can spin it by hand), that's really no better than off the ground.

But if the suspension is flexing 4" from fully loaded to unloaded and you lift it 2", there is still a lot of weight on the tire and should be sufficient to resist shifting horizontally.

You can certainly ignore what the manufacturer says but just looking at them, it's clearly not designed for it.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not attach rubber to the bottom of the jacks if you’re concerned about movement? That way you are just trading a tire for a post.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"If it really is just touching (you can spin it by hand), that's really no better than off the ground."

That's my point!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Why not attach rubber to the bottom of the jacks if you’re concerned about movement? That way you are just trading a tire for a post.

Only time tires touching adds stability is when side to side movement is being done right above the tires.

My six point system is solid whether tires are touching or not. Many times when not unhooking all my tires are off the ground to level the RV. Simply not a problem.

[image]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can tires be off ground on auto leveling system?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.