cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cab/living area COLD weather insulation - comforter?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, we have always used a heavy weight quilt to hang on the cab over bed down to the floor of cab for cold weather camping (which we do a lot of). It isolated the living area from the driving area and gave us a smaller area to heat. I got rid of the one we had thinking it would be easy to replace. Well NOPE....they are all thin or want $130 to replace the twin quilt.

I really liked the quilt because we could flip it up on top of bed when we didn't want to use so no storage issue...it was always attached with sewn pocket/thin board between mattress.

What do you use? I spent about 1.5 hours shopping local and found nothing (I also want a darkER color because we have a dog and don't want to be hitting the laundromat too often). Spent 2+ hours online looking for heavy weight comforter/quilt with no results unless I wanted to spend $120 and still no guarantee it would be heavy just pricey.

So tell me what you use? It worked great by the way to make it a smaller area to heat in COLD weather.
13 REPLIES 13

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe a sleeping bag, unzipped and opened would work.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
We used reflectix. Although light weight, it’s good insulation. I had a wide piece and punched snap caps onto it to fit the existing snaps. When it was folded it fit under our jackknife couch. I had cut reflectix for all the windows and vent panels too. Mostly just held by the curtains or shades but with Velcro (that eventually fell off) on the vents. I left the pieces when we sold the rig. Our newer Winnie came with a blanket type material that uses snaps in the same places.
Reflectix BP48010 Double Pack Insulation, 48 in. x 10 ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPAULS/
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
The windshield cover maybe? but we are often not in one place for weeks....maybe a few days and mozey on. The quilt worked REALLY well. We could have frost on windshield from our breathe and it would be 45 5o 50 in living area while sleeping. Did I say I like it cold to sleep?

I just bought from Ollies two quilts (not as beefy as the first one) that we will cut up, fit as a double layer with a board pocket/thin and sew to hold it in place between mattress and short barrier (so you don't fall over the side...a few inches). That board worked well last time except that it was too thin (1/8" plywood?) and broke at some point when he was taking it out.

So I think we have our answer. Ollies quilts were $29.99 (and a few 39.99 or 49.99 if they had other stuff like pillows with them) so a bargain. Thought about moving blanket but hubby was worried about those rough blankets spewing rough particles on the bed....

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcason wrote:
Okay, we have always used a heavy weight quilt to hang on the cab over bed down to the floor of cab for cold weather camping (which we do a lot of). It isolated the living area from the driving area and gave us a smaller area to heat. I got rid of the one we had thinking it would be easy to replace. Well NOPE....they are all thin or want $130 to replace the twin quilt.

I really liked the quilt because we could flip it up on top of bed when we didn't want to use so no storage issue...it was always attached with sewn pocket/thin board between mattress.

What do you use? I spent about 1.5 hours shopping local and found nothing (I also want a darkER color because we have a dog and don't want to be hitting the laundromat too often). Spent 2+ hours online looking for heavy weight comforter/quilt with no results unless I wanted to spend $120 and still no guarantee it would be heavy just pricey.

So tell me what you use? It worked great by the way to make it a smaller area to heat in COLD weather.

"Thin" doesn't matter ... it's can the material used to close off the cab from the coach block air flow?

Our Winnebago Itasca Class C came stock with a thin snap-on cloth curtain that blocks air flow and traps air in the cab just fine.

Air is an excellent insulator so when this curtain traps the air in the cab area, this trapped air prevents warmth from the coach leaching into the cab and out through the cab walls and windows ... while at the same time preventing cold from the cab walls and windows leaching into the coach.

It surprises me that all Class C builders don't include a convenient cab isolation curtain and an attachment method for it. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I had insulbright covers made up with fabric of my choice to blend in with the draped and other furniture.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I question whether the thickness of the quilt is a relevant factor. Obviously stopping the cold air from moving to the living area is important, but is thickness helpful?

The windshield cover and closing the AC ducts in the cab are good ideas.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Like the thinsulate idea...thank you.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Buy some Thinsulate fabric and sew between two blankets.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I currently don't use anything, so no help on that front.

Maybe you could get a sleeping bag of appropriate fluffiness and coloration and unzip it so it's flat?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Sewing two quilts together/YES....that is where we are going now...kind of had no choice but we have a beefy sewing machine (that we will be getting rid of as we move to full time) that will easily sew two together.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Check Lid'l Dolly's factory outlet in Pigeon Forge Tn. They have a web site that may help.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Could you somehow sew or attach two thin quilts together?
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
when you stop for the nite make sure the heat/ac is in the off poshion b4 you turn off the motor cover the wind sheald with an inslated cover all that helps us. your quild sounds good to
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member