cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found It, What a joke. Buying in 2021 LOL. You can keep it.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Found this online

Nice, and supposedly in stock in Ohio, has just about everything I would get if doing a special order. Even called these clowns and asked about this.................the sticker lol.

"All of our Super Dutys are priced $5000 above sticker and this price is not open to negotiation" ROFLMAO

Clicked on the "get E Price" and that came back at the "sale" price of $72K LOL.

Needless to say we talked trade, just had to do it, 2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 with 42K miles and they shot back a lowball price.........$38K........KBB says a range of $51K to $58K FWIW........

Someday things will get back to some resemblance of normal and these guys can go out back and screw themselves.

Why do I need to know what the California Air Resources board says about Environmental Performance when buying a truck in Ohio?

Welcome to 2021.
42 REPLIES 42

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

'Also remember, dealers base their appraisals on actual auction results, not on KBB's mathematical formulas.

That is exactly right, and a point that I don't think everyone is aware of.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
That is what happens when supply is low and demand is up. No different than if you wanted to get top dollar if you sold your truck so why fault the dealership if they do the same?

Agree 100 %

Free enterprise at work. Free enterprise is what made this country great! !
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
If KBB says your truck is worth 51-58K, but the dealer only wants to give you 38K, for Pete's sake sell it yourself if you think you can get 51-58K.

Of course, do bear in mind the old cliche "the only 'book' that ever actually bought a truck is a checkbook!"

Also remember, dealers base their appraisals on actual auction results, not on KBB's mathematical formulas.

Dealers use black book

In metro areas, black book is almost to the penny, 75% of KBB trade in value.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Capitalism is great, until you're on the receiving end of it.

I'm sure you'll call this price gouging, BUT price gouging is when the SELLER sets the price at something above retail to cash in on a shortage. There's laws against that.

Here, it's the BUYER offering more than retail for the item. There is no law against that.

The thing you call "gouging" is a self correcting pricing.

There was a gas station in NJ that made arrangements for a generator to run the whole gas station, staged fuel delivery trucks out of state before hurricane sandy came through. He advertised fuel at a much higher price, to cover his increased costs, and I'm sure additional profit. So, since the state got involved, he shut down, leaving nobody with gas at any price.

Companies charge too much, other entrepreneurs will come along and find a cheaper way to supply product or services.

Gouging is a media term.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
And when the year winds down, the prices will drop.

Aren't October-December the usual sweet months? When old and new inventory are on the books.

I remember one of my savvy clients swore that New Years eve was the best day to negotiate with MBZ dealers and would close the deal the following day on New Years day. Always drove off with a crazy bargain.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If KBB says your truck is worth 51-58K, but the dealer only wants to give you 38K, for Pete's sake sell it yourself if you think you can get 51-58K.

Of course, do bear in mind the old cliche "the only 'book' that ever actually bought a truck is a checkbook!"

Also remember, dealers base their appraisals on actual auction results, not on KBB's mathematical formulas.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Capitalism is great, until you're on the receiving end of it.

I'm sure you'll call this price gouging, BUT price gouging is when the SELLER sets the price at something above retail to cash in on a shortage. There's laws against that.

Here, it's the BUYER offering more than retail for the item. There is no law against that.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
This is not the time to be buying a vehicle....unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, yours blew up or you crashed it.

I agree. I was looking at Ram 1500 Hemis. Last year they were around $22-25k for a 15 with 70k ish miles. Now the same trucks are hovering around $30k. And 12-15 trucks with 120k+ miles are around $25k! No thanks. I’ll wait till the market dumps and then I’ll buy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is not the time to be buying a vehicle....unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, yours blew up or you crashed it.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Nv Guy wrote:
You guys have never bought a Raptor. Before all this covid craziness So Cal dealers added $10-$25K to the price and what's really scary (and stupid) people pay it. This just isn't a Ford problem, all of these parasitic dealers do it.
You said people paid that price, so why is the dealer a parasite? I assume the buyers were not held at gunpoint. Maybe you could be the lead horse in a movement to sell things at the minimum price instead of the maximum. Maybe start with selling your personal vehicle and home and giving the buyer a surprise 25% discount after you have arrived at the negotiated price.
Real estate in my area has buyers entering bidding wars paying 10% or more over list price. Are the sellers parasites for selling over the list price? Are all the buyers "stupid", or are they just paying what it takes to get what they want? In my view of the world, if the buyer and seller reach a mutually acceptable price it is a fair deal unless there are true mitigating circumstances such as fraud or a truly mentally incompetent buyer or seller involved.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
Granted, decades have gone by but:

1800-ish Square foot town home, 1992: $25,000
Airworthy but not shiny 1946 PA-12 in 1998: $23,000
Cabin + 30-ish acres in Alaska semi-wilderness: 1999: $20,000
Total-ish: $68,000
New 2019 model in late 2019: F250 Lariat 4x4, diesel, etc : List (IIRC) $65, negotiated down to $58,000. I could barely stomach the idea of paying that much for a new truck in 2019...have to agree that now is not the time for new.
And what would have to pay for those things today? I bet in 1992 people were saying there is no way they would never pay $25,000 for a townhome, $23,000 for a 46 year old airplane or $20,000 for a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness.
Thirty years from today I am almost certain if you could get 2021 prices on most anything you would write the check without hesitation (if checks are still a thing).

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
PA12DRVR wrote:
Guess away to whatever degree you want. If commenting on the high price of new trucks is somehow offensive....

Nothing offensive about commenting on the price of new trucks.

Using misleading comparisons to prove a point then being evasive about the facts behind the comparison...that's a different story.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ There was a day when I wouldn’t have paid a dime more to get any of the fancy stuff in a truck. Now I probably wouldn’t buy a truck without it having virtually every available option.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
FireGuard wrote:
It seems like the used prices are crazy, but you can buy new for less.
Dennis Dillion in Idaho has some used Ram CTD for “market price” in the $60k range but several brand new Ram 3500 CC 4x4 diesel Tradesman for $56k.
Who wouldn’t buy the new one for less?

It depends how old and what trim level the used ones are .... a Tradesman is probably not a very desirable trim package.

Tradesman are “bare bones”, but not the bare bones of the past. I test drove one a couple years ago, power windows, locks, AC, power heated mirrors, but o power seats.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"