Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Time to replace batteries??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Time to replace batteries??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
DiamondDan

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2008 Damon Astoria has been sitting plugged in since Oct 2019. My bad: didn’t check the water levels in the house batteries, and now it is well below the tops of the cells, and they won’t hold a charge. Can they be revived with water and a couple charge / discharge cycles, or are they toast? Batteries were installed 2015.
Thanks in advance.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiamondDan wrote:

My 2008 Damon Astoria has been sitting plugged in since Oct 2019. My bad: didn’t check the water levels in the house batteries, and now it is well below the tops of the cells, and they won’t hold a charge. Can they be revived with water and a couple charge / discharge cycles, or are they toast? Batteries were installed 2015.
Thanks in advance.
Plates exposed to air sulfate and the lost capacity cannot be restored. You can try including equalizing and perhaps they will be adequate for your use, but they are also 6 years old. Or replace, maintain and enjoy.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiamondDan wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Same thing happened to a friend of mine, he keeps his MH plugged in 24/7 and the water boiled out of his 4 6v GC batteries, tops of the plates were exposed. I added a gal of distilled water to his cells, equalized and desufated 5 years ago and he still has the same batteries. Try it and see if they come back. Another thing to think about is what kind of electrical loads are required for the way you camp. I just dry camp, I don't watch TV, listen to music or play on the internet so my loads are low compared to someone that has those requirements or makes coffee with an inverter etc. If you mostly go to FHU CG's you have even less electrical loads on your batteries. Let us know how you make out it won't cost you anything but time to try to recondition your batteries.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have nothing to loose by trying to recover the batteries.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DiamondDan

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, all. I do dry camp (EAA Oshkosh is right around the corner), so I’ll give these a try well before that.

supercub

Modesto CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After talking to several different battery dealers. I ended up buying US 2200 batteries for my RV. I'm replacing Trojan T-105's. which are next to impossible to find right now. Everyone I talked to said the US 2200's are good batteries. Guess I'll find out. Thanks for all the feedback.

DiamondDan

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiamondDan wrote:

Thanks, all. I do dry camp (EAA Oshkosh is right around the corner), so I’ll give these a try well before that.

Forgot to update this… my bad.
After the first battery took almost a full gallon of water, I basically gave up and replaced them.

Now the progressive dynamics 9280 converter is trying to blast 14.5V into the new ones, which doesn’t seem right and may be part of the original problem. All their troubleshooting is for no or low voltage, so that’s not super helpful.

My understanding of how they operate is they push 14.4 bulk charge to get to 80% before stepping down to 13.8 or 13.2 storage mode.

Any advice on troubleshooting an over voltage condition from the converter other than buy a new one?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan,

Do you have the wizard? If so you can force it to charge at a lower voltage.

hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2008 Mazda is still using the original battery. How is that possible? When I'm not using the vehicle, I desulfate the battery with a BatteryMINDER 2012.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now the progressive dynamics 9280 converter is trying to blast 14.5V into the new ones, which doesn’t seem right and may be part of the original problem. All their troubleshooting is for no or low voltage, so that’s not super helpful.

The 9280 puts out 14.5 normally when first plugged in as the "BULK" charge. It will continue at (As I recall) 14.5 till it senses the batteries are full. then it drops to 13.6 for 20 hours. then back to 14.5 for like 15 minutes, then back to"Float" (13.6) for 20 hours.

I may be a bit off on the voltages. but 14.5 is normal

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Time to replace batteries??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.