Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yamaha 2000iS and softstart with AC?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Yamaha 2000iS and softstart with AC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, that’s quite a system you have Sir, and a good real world testimony about the advantages of having a hybrid type inverter.

3 tons

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We borrowed a EU2000w Honda a couple years ago, it ran our AC fine for a weekend... but I shut off the ECO mode. Our friends who we borrowed the gen from did not know about the ECO mode - they had warned us that it might not work for our AC.

So you can get by with a 2000w (although, running with ECO off sort of defeats the "quietness" of the gen).

Having said that... last year we bought a EU3000 Honda.

Wow, what a difference.

Noticeably quieter, no need to shut of ECO mode, starts the AC fine, and doesn't even rev up to full RPM! We used it last week at a rustic state park, could barely hear it running. Neighbor campers with a 3400w Champion (not sure of exact model) were very much louder - not bad like a contractor gen, but certainly louder than our Honda.

YES, bigger generators are better - and run quieter!

Having said that... weight. The 2000w gens are usually "suitcase generators", light enough for one person to carry. 3000w gen is a two person job just to get it into the back of the truck. But it is worth it!

So... I don't think I answered any questions with that post.

See you camping!

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After getting internet advice and wasting some money trying to run a roof air on a Honda 2000, I use a 8000 btu window AC for my little Toyota, I added a hard start to the AC and the mighty little Honda runs the AC under all conditions, Rocky mountains to Death Valley. Mini split AC would be my first choice but I do not have room for evaporator.

Home Depot and others rent Honda 2200's, rent one on the hottest day you can, AC draws more power as temperature increases. And at high elevation if possible, gen output decreases at elevation.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Agreed, that’s quite a system you have Sir, and a good real world testimony about the advantages of having a hybrid type inverter.

3 tons

If you're going with a pass through inverter/ charger the hybrids are really nice and the upcharge really isn't that bad in the big scheme of glamping. Plus offers many options for different situations you might be camping or mooch docking in. [emoticon]

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,800+ cycles.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s a great video about how Victron inverters (including hybrid) work…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPfUn5ki7OM

3 tons

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So today at 93df ambient, and with inverter bypassed and entirely out of the campers VAC loop, I decided to run the air conditioner directly (via the main panel) from the Honda 2200i with it in the eco mode…Before starting, I first ran the air cond for about 40 minutes to be certain it was up to operating temp…Results??….. After a half dozen test the Honda started the air conditioner while in Eco every time….

FWIW, Before taking the inverter out of the loop, I had first tried by lowering the ProSine 2.0 (a pass-thru inverter) inverter’s cut-off voltage and Hz to Xantrex’s lowest allowable settings of 85v and 50h, but to no avail…The inverter apparently ‘sees’ this as a defective shore power scenario and disconnects from the genny… And this is where the genny to inverter oscillations begin… As previously mentioned, I do have a Soft-start…

Makes me kinda wonder, of these many folks who report that their generators will operate their air conditioners while in the eco mode - how many of these generators being used in conjunction with a Smart (I.e. power sensing) pass-thru type inverter??

This is just another reason why the outcomes of each case may have a different ending…

3 tons

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

So today at 93df ambient, and with inverter bypassed and entirely out of the campers VAC loop, I decided to run the air conditioner directly (via the main panel) from the Honda 2200i with it in the eco mode…Before starting, I first ran the air cond for about 40 minutes to be certain it was up to operating temp…Results??….. After a half dozen test the Honda started the air conditioner while in Eco every time….

FWIW, Before taking the inverter out of the loop, I had first tried by lowering the ProSine 2.0 (a pass-thru inverter) inverter’s cut-off voltage and Hz to Xantrex’s lowest allowable settings of 85v and 50h, but to no avail…The inverter apparently ‘sees’ this as a defective shore power scenario and disconnects from the genny… And this is where the genny to inverter oscillations begin… As previously mentioned, I do have a Soft-start…

Makes me kinda wonder, of these many folks who report that their generators will operate their air conditioners while in the eco mode - how many of these generators being used in conjunction with a Smart (I.e. power sensing) pass-thru type inverter??

This is just another reason why the outcomes of each case may have a different ending…

3 tons
We've discovered the Micro Air needs a very clean pure sine wave to operate properly. There are some inverters and inverter generators that will not operate properly with the Micro Air because they distort the waveform under load. It may be possible the Micro Air itself modifies the sine wave in a non-voltage way (during the critical inrush current phase) that disrupts the proper operation of some hybrid systems. It could be something innocuous as just changing the phase ever so slightly.

BTW, maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe you mentioned in an earlier post that you were having problems starting your Micro Air equipped 11k BTU a/c with your Honda EU2200. I found that surprising. Now that I understand the context, it makes more sense. Our Honda EU2200 will start/run our 11k BTU a/c without a Micro Air. We went ahead and installed the Micro Air anyhow just to reduce wear and tear on the Honda. 50-60a of inrush places a lot of electrical/mechanical stress on these smaller generators.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Otrfun, Yep, I’ve been expecting the Honda to run the air conditioner while in eco mode (but wouldn’t…), so I decided to try and isolate the issue. This is when in the end that I decided to bypass the Xantrex pass-thru smart inverter, and found that the inverter was rejecting acceptance of the Honda’s output when in eco mode…Bypassing the fussy inverter entirely is what did the trick…

So am I to assume that your camper’s electrical system doesn’t use this type of inverter??…Thanks [emoticon]

3 tons

* This post was edited 06/27/21 06:05pm by 3 tons *

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On edit, to clarify:

The ad hoc fix I’m now thinking about is to add another ATS Switch with it’s own dedicated genny power cord….By this means, when not using the generator I’ll still be able to run the air cond on shore power OR inverter via the existing path, but with the addition of a separate isolated ATS switch (and dedicated genny power cord), the option of using the Honda in eco mode (when active) to exclusively power up just the air conditioner…This (only when genny is active) will isolate shore power and/or the inverter (either source) from the generator until the genny is shut down….With genny active, ATS will ensure no conflict between either of the power paths - with genny on new power cord as the priority…With genny down, new ATS will redirect power coming from the inverter or shore power (whichever is active) to the air conditioner….

Who says you cant have your cake and eat it too - lol

3 tons

* This post was last edited 06/27/21 07:52pm by 3 tons *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Yamaha 2000iS and softstart with AC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.