Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: fuel additives
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> fuel additives

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Same can be said about Valvoline Premium Blue oil that advertises their oil is "Endorsed and Approved by Cummins" on every bottle and people think they have to run it because it's recommended by Cummins.

Egggzactly!

FWIW, the only oil I won't or don't run is Rosmella T4. Or haven't in a while anyways.
Aside from the odiferous emissions, and I'll qualify with I don't understand why or how, my old 5.9 would drink T4. Couple qts between oil changes, vs never adding oil between changes any other time, except when I took off once for long trip with about 10k miles on the oil and it was down a quart.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like archoil has a new formula.

https://www.archoil.com/products/ar6500-diesel-treatment

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/21 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

What does the manufacture say? I think the millions of dollars they spent in research might be a clue.

Yes and no. There is a lot more into it than this that evolves around emissions. Even if an additive is good for the engine and may make it more efficient and reliable, it may harm emissions equipment and the EPA will require testing that the additive will not alter emissions.

If you were an engine manufacturer, would you spend the time and money to test all of these additives in all of the various fuel requirements from each state especially when you are making a dime off of it? Would you recommend an additive that may harm your emissions equipment(which you will pay out in warranty) if too much is added? Or would you stop recommending additives altogether as the manufacturers did with the new 2010 regulations?

Then you also have the minimum cetane rating your diesel is tuned to run on. Just like gas engines are tuned to run on certain octane ratings, so are diesels with different cetane ratings. For example, my BMW is designed to run on 50 cetane which is only available in California. I live in Texas which has a minimum cetane rating of 48 which is not too far off.

However, when traveling to other states that only have the federal minimum of 40 cetane, I do notice a drop in power and efficiency. On a trip to Florida, I got 2-3 mpg less(my car generally gets around 45 mpg) when using other state's diesel fuel. Halfway on the way back from Florida, I added some cetane boost and my mileage went back up.

Some people may call it snake oil by my fuel records from 90k worth of miles doesn't lie. I also have a friend that works at Southwest Research that tests these additives and I do know that they in fact work at cleaning up injectors and boost performance/efficiency. How much depends on your current fuel quality and how you use your vehicle. After all, these additives are not much different than the additives top-tier fuel diesel fuel brands put in their fuel. However, the brands just put the minimum required to meet state or federal fuel requirements.

So you are talking mileage ,and some are talking the health of the motor. So claims on both sides . I guess I was lucky on the health side not using an additive, and sacrificed mileage ,I guess . Never used it to see if there was a change in the mileage on the 7.3 nor this 6.7 Cummins .

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My company runs 3 diesel delivery trucks. We always get 350k on the motors before selling. Probably had 10 over the last 15 years...GM, Ford, Mercedes, Isuzu. Never a single issue with the motors (knock on wood) and never a drop of additive.

ETA: the only mechanical issue we ever had was on a Ford. The fuel tank lining dissolved and gummed-up the fuel system. Had to have it rebuilt with ZERO help from Ford. Absolutely the last Ford we have purchased/leased.

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info but also remember on this camping forum a lot of people have diesel vehicles that are not started everyday. Something to make fuel last longer and something to make the oil more clingy might be beneficial to dry starting a motor that sits.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Since my 11 and now 15 RAM I have not used anything.

Prior I used a fuel conditioner or two cycle oil.

Ram didn't use the higher pressure CP4 pump till 2018.

Not sure how that relates to what I said?

It doesn't although it shows he's just commenting about something he knows nothing aboot.

"EH"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Same can be said about Valvoline Premium Blue oil that advertises their oil is "Endorsed and Approved by Cummins" on every bottle and people think they have to run it because it's recommended by Cummins.

Egggzactly!

FWIW, the only oil I won't or don't run is Rosmella T4. Or haven't in a while anyways.
Aside from the odiferous emissions, and I'll qualify with I don't understand why or how, my old 5.9 would drink T4. Couple qts between oil changes, vs never adding oil between changes any other time, except when I took off once for long trip with about 10k miles on the oil and it was down a quart.

I am a REBEL as I run AMZ/OIL. [emoticon]

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

So you are talking mileage ,and some are talking the health of the motor. So claims on both sides . I guess I was lucky on the health side not using an additive, and sacrificed mileage ,I guess . Never used it to see if there was a change in the mileage on the 7.3 nor this 6.7 Cummins .

Additives can effect the health of your engine too. Although most talk about the fuel pump, but I am referring to buildup on your injectors. If you are using a top tier fuel then you likely don't have to worry about since it already has these additives in it. Keeping your injectors clean aides in both mileage and health.

I know on my BMW diesel that uses piezo injectors, they are more sensitive to build-up versus my Cummins with electronic solenoid injectors. Being that it is a small 2 liter diesel, you can really tell in when the injectors have build-up because I will feel a noticeable drop in power and see it in my fuel mileage records.

My Cummins truck on the other hand, I can probably run the worst fuel possible for months and still not feel a difference. Part is this might be due to the fact that my diesel car is designed to run on 50 cetane while my truck is fine with 40.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since 2013 Cummins/RAM have a great filtering system that will help keep the fuel system in good health.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So ARCO diesel is different than Chevron Diesel?
I know gasoline quality can vary but i always heard diesel was pretty much the same.

Some of you guys seem knowledgeable about it. How would you compare.
1. ARCO diesel
2. Chevron diesel
3. Pilot/Loves biodiesel

From what someone mentioned earlier it sounds like different states allow different minimum cetane ratings.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> fuel additives
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.