cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always carry an extra tube of roof sealant..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I towed the travel trailer to a dog show and then went glamping for a week. On the first day and night the rain came down in buckets, for hours. The next morning I noticed a small trickle of water on the wall. I grabbed the ladder and checked the roof. Some of the sealant on that corner had dried and had some small cracks in it. Lucky for me there was a Camping World not far away so I fixed it. Over the next few days we got a lot of rain but, no more leak.

I assumed that with a 4.5 year old camper I wouldn't need to carry such things. I checked the entire roof and didn't see any other areas that looked like they needed a touchup. In decades past we always had older RVs and I was well stocked for on the road repairs. Lesson learned. Carry a tube of sealant and check the roof before leaving. (As a side note I had just washed that roof a week before the trip but I didn't inspect it..shame shame).
7 REPLIES 7

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
A roll of Eternabond is not a bad idea to have on hand either. Just in case a tree limb jumps out and grabs you. Been there.

Etrnabound is great, but unless you carry stuff to clean the surface, plan to take the time while it is raining a roll of the packing tape works about as well. Does not last long but the good tape doesn't either unless done right.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there are buckets of rain it's going to leak. Rubber roofs suck. I've learned to be happy to keep the leak down to just a trickle in buckets of rain.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An RV roof that lasted 4.5 years without maintenance? That’s a record.

I carry a quart of Heng’s and a third of a roll of Eternabond. Why store those two at home?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
A roll of Eternabond is not a bad idea to have on hand either. Just in case a tree limb jumps out and grabs you. Been there.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
falconbrother wrote:
I assumed that with a 4.5 year old camper I wouldn't need to carry such things.

Depending on who you ask, you should be checking the roof every 6 months to 2 years...resealing as needed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Boy do I hate downpours. I'm constantly checking the ceiling for leaks, and I can't hear the TV!

I struggled with a leaky skylight for years. I tried Dicor and Eternabond, but that didn't work. Heng's rubber roof sealant does. It's thinner and goes on like paint.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman