Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Smaller Holding Tanks...What to do when NO hookups??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Smaller Holding Tanks...What to do when NO hookups??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

Baja Man wrote:

So we made compromises....smaller TT, lighter weight,

Buy an additional holding tank that you strap to back of your RV.

Bad idea...

But you know, it helps when the OP is present and active in the conversation. In another thread he said he was planning on carrying water jugs.
Below is an example of what I was suggesting, although you can get a similar setup for less than half this much $. This is an expensive setup.
It is literally the easy button for hauling water, and comparable in $ if you're wanting to bring more than a few jugs. You have almost unlimited length (within reason) with the pump electrical hookup and add whatever length hose you need. Fill it up in the back of the truck at home or wherever, plug it in and fill camper when needed. Anywhere from about 250lb to 1100lb depending on how much water you want.
I used to put a 450lb bag on the floor of the back seat in the truck. Been using the same bag(s) in our boat for surfing and for hauling extra camper water for many years now, when needed.

https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-sumo-max-850-bag-pump-combo.html

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I often use a plastic dishpan for washing dishes and pour the dishwater down the toilet."

Me too sorta, Mock. I use the dishwater to flush the toilet.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja Man wrote:

As far as gray / black water…
Are the portable dumping totes exclusive to its contents ( one for gray and separate one for black) or does one tote handle both?

Storage could be an issue? How do you carry and store when traveling?

I would put both in my Barker, but honestly haven't seen a need as even 15 gallons of black will last forever if you're only using it for nighttime/emergency use.

As far as carrying additional fresh, we've got collapsible 5 gallon containers that we fill when we're traveling in the winter and don't want to have water in the tank or pump, a couple of those would work and with a funnel it would be fairly easy to add to the fresh tank (or you could use them for your drinking/bathroom flushing and use the tank water only for sink/shower duty).

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Mel Stuplich

Wausau, WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja Man wrote:

So we made compromises....smaller TT, lighter weight, easier to tow, easier to access locations, etc. Smaller, lighter TTs usually equals less CCC which equals smaller holding tanks.

The new to me TT has holding tank capacities as follows:

Fresh: 37ga
B/G: 30ga

Brochure on TT states 50 on fresh, but called Keystone, and per VIN, it is 37.

We mainly camp where there are full hookups.
Some state parks offer water and gray, but no black.

But when we do want to go where there are no hookups, how can we handle the limited tanks?how can we handle the limited tanks?

We travel most of the time with 3 adults......4 on occasion.

Thoughts?

Dump often.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my trailer, the fresh is 20gal but only holds about 15-18gal. The gray is 20gal and I have a cassette toilet.

That's the camper I take on sightseeing trips. I use campground facilities for showers. Only use the cassette toilet for nights and if going to the facilities is inconvenient. A 6gal grey tote and six 2.5gal aquatainers (filled at home).

That gets me through about 8 days without any other water conservation.

I usually use one aquatainer for pet water bowls and one for my drinking water. The other four are used to refill the tank. I have a long large funnel (advertised for frat parties on Amazon) for filling. It works great.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^So despite your lauded water conserving techniques (aka use someone else’s water….) your story is A. Not even remotely answering the question. And B. A completely different set of circumstances than the OPs.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 30 grey and 30 black you can last a bit. I can easily go 4 to 5 days with 3 people if i use the campground showers and conserve a bit. You could wash dishes in a seprate bin and use the water to put out your fire at night. I run out of freash before i fill the tanks, usally. Sometimes the kido leaves the taps open more then needed. The grey will fill up before the black. So i use the black tank for overflow,think pasta water, unfinished drinks, etc.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can shower, cook, clean on 1 gallon a day. Drinking /cooking water is not out of the camper tank, so that does not count.
I come back in the evening dirty and nasty sweaty so it is a legit shower.
Use kids shampoo. It will suds up less and is easier to rinse.
Don't wash hair every shower unless you got dirty or sweaty.
There are water saving shower methods where you can shower with very little water.
Do not heat water for a shower, suffer and be glad to get out of the cold water, you will use less water.
Turn off toilet water. Put a bucket of old dish water for the flush and a jug for the guys, or if you can't salvage flush water then use a plastic bag for the black water/affluent so you use no water.
Do not run water for brushing teeth. Use a small cup to rinse mouth, and a drop of water to rinse off toothbrush.
Don't wash your hands. Use wipes or a gel dispenser, it will clean better anyway.
And of course bring extra jugs of water.

My fav tip is to use a Lifesaver Jerrycan water purifier. Take water from any source like a stream and filter it and put this back into your camper water tank. The base model Lifesaver filter can do 10,000 gallons before needing replacement. The life is 3 years, it will be very hard to reach the 10,000 limit in 3 years, even full-timing in the RV.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never heard of so much compromising to go camping.....flush toilet with dish water, shower with a baby wipe.
How about dishes with black tank ? Lol
Sorry

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Never heard of so much compromising to go camping.....flush toilet with dish water, shower with a baby wipe.
How about dishes with black tank ? Lol
Sorry

Do you understand that much of the world, even parts of this country, water is of value high enough that it is used as little as possible?
Next time you take a shower at home, use a bucket to catch what you run down the drain just because the pipes are full of room temperature water.
The mantra about black tanks is use lots of water. Some talk of adding detergent to keep sensors working. What is the harm in adding what you washed off dishes too?
The toilets in my parents RV had 2 levers. They interlocked, but you could run water into the bowl without opening the gate at the bottom. After a wizz, both levers to MT then rinse the bowl, then just cover the bottom. Before 2, run water into the bowl so there would be enough to carry the corn-backed rattler into the tank. Why does that water you plan to mess in need to be clean?
To do dishes you start with a pan of hot soapy water, right? After you wash dishes, rinse them off, and catch that rinse water. What is in that water? A little dish soap. Next time you need to do dishes, boil a pot of water, add to the rinse water you saved, more soap, and you are starting same place as before.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Smaller Holding Tanks...What to do when NO hookups??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.