Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Helper springs or air bags?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Helper springs or air bags?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
out_for_a_rip

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all - I have a 2019 F150 3.5l EB w/6.5' box, and a 24' Coachmen Apex BH. The rig tows fine and I have good WD, but am considering helper springs or air bags to help with the slight sag I have. I have also read that helper springs can aid in sway control, and I am curious of its validity. I don't have sway issues, but naturally a strong cross wind can lead to some white knuckles.

I would appreciate any opinions from those with experience with either.

Thank you in advance!

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had very good results with Timbrens. They make a kit, FR1504E, for your truck and you can remove the supplied spacer to adjust the ride.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quit finding solutions to problems that don’t exist and go camping.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

C.B.

APPLETON WI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

I have had very good results with Timbrens. They make a kit, FR1504E, for your truck and you can remove the supplied spacer to adjust the ride.

Ditto:

Timbrens work great on my F-350. No messing around with air compressor.

C.B.

CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Helper springs and timbrens are full time support. Airbags can be easily adjusted for the load, or no load at all.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On various light duty trucks, I've used helper springs and Timbrens. The helper springs made the unloaded ride a bit rougher, but not bad, and they worked outstanding for towing and stabilization. Timbrens caused my Ram 1500 to have a jarring ride that was completely undesirable. I won't consider them again in a light duty application. Another option is Sumo Springs bump stops. I've never heard a bad thing about them.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Itakethe5th2011

Moreno Valley, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If price is no object, air bags would be the best way to go. The problem with air bags, you will need a air compressor, a controller in the cab, (to adjust the bags hight) and the air bags with mounts. Then you have to hook it all up. I removed my bump stops and installed Timbren Suspension System. It took less than a hour to install. The bottom of the timber sits one inch above the axle so it will not change the ride of my truck. Once I load the 5th wheel, my truck squats a little over a inch. It is more stable side to side and no maintenance required.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick and inexpensive. Find an old fashioned spring shop and have them add a leaf. It will raise your unloaded rear ride height.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C.B. wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

Ditto:

Timbrens work great on my F-350. No messing around with air compressor.

C.B.

x3

I probably have a little less than 1" of space between the Timbrens and axle unloaded, and it settles down with a heavy load. I think it improves the heavily loaded ride quite a bit without being overly harsh. About $200 and zero maintenance.

On a Ram 2500 specifically they also ride outside of the coil springs so they effectively widen out the suspension on the axle.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itakethe5th2011 wrote:

If price is no object, air bags would be the best way to go. The problem with air bags, you will need a air compressor, a controller in the cab, (to adjust the bags hight) and the air bags with mounts. Then you have to hook it all up. I removed my bump stops and installed Timbren Suspension System. It took less than a hour to install. The bottom of the timber sits one inch above the axle so it will not change the ride of my truck. Once I load the 5th wheel, my truck squats a little over a inch. It is more stable side to side and no maintenance required.

Having a fully automated system is nice but not needed. Run the valves back to the rear bumper and use a bike pump. Unless you are airing them up and down several times a day, it's not a huge imposition. They don't hold a lot of air. You still have to worry about leaks over time.

That said, we went with sumosprings on our F250. 1 bolt per side. Biggest issue was getting the old rusty bolt out. On a newer truck without rust, should be a 15-20min job.

They are progressive, so unloaded, they don't create a harsh ride.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Helper springs or air bags?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.