Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Helper springs or air bags?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Helper springs or air bags?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itakethe5th2011 wrote:

If price is no object, air bags would be the best way to go. The problem with air bags, you will need a air compressor, a controller in the cab, (to adjust the bags hight) and the air bags with mounts. Then you have to hook it all up. I removed my bump stops and installed Timbren Suspension System. It took less than a hour to install. The bottom of the timber sits one inch above the axle so it will not change the ride of my truck. Once I load the 5th wheel, my truck squats a little over a inch. It is more stable side to side and no maintenance required.

You don't "need" anything but a basic airbag kit and there is zero maintenance required. You musnt have had airbags before.
Although a little compressor or even a decent bike pump is handy to air down after you drop the camper for bobtail driving.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd just go with Summo or Timbrens. I prefer Summo's myself.
Both will sit an inch or so above the axle so the unloaded ride remains the same. Unlike bags where you need 5psi in them On a lighter weight 1/2 ton even 5 psi can affect the ride.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Sumo's from etrailer.com which work just like Timbrens on the wifes 1500 chevy 4wd bcrew cab short bed and a 10k car hauler with 9400 lbs on the trailers axles. The loaded trailer adds about 1060-1000 lbs on the back of the truck.
I wouldn't say helper springs can help eliminating in all sway issues but under certain problems they could help.....such as a sag issue.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The volume of air required in air bags is very , very small . I have used a manual bicycle pump to blow up my bags , takes less than 30 seconds . No need for an installed compressor system at hundreds of dollars . My neibor spent about $500 for his system and is so proud of it , only ran his truck payment up $ 16 per month for seven years !! I need the exercise and the five hundred dollars !

LITEPHIL

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd just let it sag a couple inches and not give it a thought.

2019 Chevy RST Silverado 1500
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2002 Sandpiper T22
04 FXDL Harley

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spend $20 at a CAT scale to adjust that WD for 100% front axle weight restoration (despite what Ford recommends).

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck came with airbags and it's nice. Looks to be that quick connect tubing so install and repairs would be easy. Truck is a 2002 so with all that years of slop and free play in parts it's hard to tell if the truck tows different.

Nice to pump them up if getting a heavy load in the back. It's fun hitting the drain and pump button.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A properly setup WDH will not cause the rear to sag. You need to put more weight on you bars. Once that's done they need to be parallel with the road. Might need to adjust the hitch head angle to accomplish that.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slight sag is normal. Most trucks have the rears higher so when loaded they're level or so with the front. You wouldn't want the truck level to start with and load it up. If so the headlights would point up to high.
If it tows fine then leave it.

FWIW the front is more critical. Set the front properly and the rear is what it is. You don't need the rear to be at the OEM height when hitched.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Helper springs and timbrens are full time support. Airbags can be easily adjusted for the load, or no load at all.
You are wrong. You have it backwards

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Helper springs or air bags?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.