cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep Grand Cherokee, experiences, thoughts, opinions?

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to be selling our Jeep Wrangler and am considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee for our next dinghy. Any experience, thoughts or opinions is greatly appreciated! We are looking for a more comfortable ride! Thanks!

Revised post: We will be flat towing the Cheroke. We are wanting to move to an SUV and have found that there are limitations to flat towing suv's. As an example, a Honda crv is not recommended to be towed faster than 65 mph and that won't work for us lol!

I have found that the Jeep Grand Cherokee is flat towable as long as it has the Quadra Trac II or the Quadra Drive II.
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
17 REPLIES 17

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thank you all so much!!!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I AM A JEEP ENGINEER.

Well then I hope I never run into you in a dark campground! Iโ€™ve got a few angry and detailed questions! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Just got back from a 2200 mile trip towing our 2011 JGC. We've towed our last 3 Grand Cherokees and all have been superlative. Jeep does not design the system to require unlocking the steering column, or having to disconnect the battery. You only have to make sure you get the variant that has the transfer case with a neutral position. Period, end of story, it's that simple. I AM A JEEP ENGINEER.

Not trying to start a fight, I was going by this which I know can be a questionable source. Page 16.
I know I dont disconnect on my old 2007, but saw this and thought I would pass it on for the 2021 models.

Definitely questionableโ€ฆ..75% of their โ€œfavoriteโ€ toads I have never seen being towed!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an Explorer that weighs around 4400lbs empty. I think the GC is around 4700 empty, I havenโ€™t looked at the shipping weight papaerwork that comes with them when delivered new. But I remember a Summit being around 47-4800lbs.

Whatever one you choose be sure it has the N position for the Tcase. Some of the lower line GCโ€™s only have single speed T-cases.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a '00 GC until it got totaled, then towed a '99 GC and now tow a '13 GC. Never a problem with any of them.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Our Grand Cherokee has been an outstanding dingy! We had two different Ford Edges that were very good dinghies, but not as good as the Grand Cherokee.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Just got back from a 2200 mile trip towing our 2011 JGC. We've towed our last 3 Grand Cherokees and all have been superlative. Jeep does not design the system to require unlocking the steering column, or having to disconnect the battery. You only have to make sure you get the variant that has the transfer case with a neutral position. Period, end of story, it's that simple. I AM A JEEP ENGINEER.

Not trying to start a fight, I was going by this which I know can be a questionable source. Page 16.
I know I dont disconnect on my old 2007, but saw this and thought I would pass it on for the 2021 models.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Jeep and all it's cousins seem to have electrical problems as they age, especially if you live in a snowy area that use road salt. This might take 5-10 years, but it will happen.

weโ€™re in chicago where it has been known to snow and none of our jeeps have had โ€œelectrical problemsโ€. 2003 Wrangler, 2010 Liberty, โ€˜46 Willys CJ2A
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Historically, although the name's the same, Grand Cherokees seem to have far more issues than do the Wrangler line of vehicles.

You might want to look into http://www.jeepproblems.com and other websites to check frequency of repair history and common complainants & issues.

PLEASE bear in mind this is looking at hundreds of thousands of vehicles, and not just one poster's particular JGC that may or may not have been the best thing since sliced bread.

Although I have to connection to the vehicle, pro or con, decades of experience in the industry have taught me to look at the big picture, and not just Uncle Fred's 2015 model which he loves more than his wife.

Best of luck to you. Happy travels.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at new, be aware the GC's require disconnecting the battery prior to towing. It's not a major issue, but to some it could be annoying.
The Cherokee doesn't have that requirement.

Edit add, checked the Jeep manual, Good SAM has this one wrong.
No battery disconnect is needed.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep and all it's cousins seem to have electrical problems as they age, especially if you live in a snowy area that use road salt. This might take 5-10 years, but it will happen.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your Neptune probably has 880 torque so the extra weight will be noticeable. As long as you stay in the East you probably will not notice the difference. Agree a Wrangler is poor riding vehicle compared to a Grand.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We own a 2014 JGC Limited 4X4 with the V6, and have had no problems in the last 7 years. Just recently, the check engine light came on and the dealer determined it has something to do with the gasoline vapor from the gas tank. We were told it will be an inexpensive fix.