Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My prediction for the future..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> My prediction for the future..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an interesting thread and we all have opinions... But, if I could read the future, I would know what stock to buy or what crypto and would be a multi millionaire by now...

I think an interesting sign will be how full storage lots are come fall. When people are no longer camping, kids back to school, etc. How many people didn't consider the cost of storing their camper all year and add that to their monthly payment. Not even considering how far they have to drive to store it. Many lots were full before this rush on RV's, so what will happen this fall? Not sure, I have 5 acres and can park for free all winter so not a worry for me. A neighbor is storing 5 RV's at his place and making a nice little side gig...

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

I gave a very insightful reply yesterday, but...

This will soon be deleted too.

mr_andyj, I think you have posted your rant in the wrong thread..

I doubt there is any poster that hasn't had at least one comment scrubbed. I have had lots of my posts scrubbed, I have had more than one PM from the Mods concerning my comments.

I appreciate the work the Mods put into this forum in keeping things not only civil but rated "G" family friendly and they are not getting paid one cent for this work.

While a scrub does hurt the ego, it is for the greater good of the forum. While not a member of some other forums that I look at once and a while, they can often get pretty darn mean down to harassment without some form of of pruning..

Don't take scrubbing as a personal insult..

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

I gave a very insightful reply yesterday, but the moderator is a liberal I assume and does not like anyone who has read the ingredients in the "shot" including mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, micro magnets and other , many other toxins. My comment was, dont take the jab! This will soon be deleted too. RV net is a communist CCP propaganda site I guess...

Any same Mod would delete a troll.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I think with the insane cost of housing more will be heading to the RV lifestyle.

Unless you have a 100% free piece of land that cost you nothing per day with no taxes and you do not own or do not have permission to be there, no electricity costs, no other costs associated with owning real estate or property, it is far, far cheaper to live in a apartment..

If you are living in a RV on a piece of property that you did not buy or own without paying rent then you are squatting without permission to be there and your plans of low cost living will evaporate very quickly if you were forced to go to a campground setting at $20-$100 per night rates..

$20 per night is $600 per month and $100 per night is $3,000 per month..

$600 per month can get you a small apartment in many places..

I should have been more specific, I should have said "I think with the insane cost of owning a home more will be heading to the RV lifestyle."

It's cheap to live in the Thousand Trails system as one example.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Don't take scrubbing as a personal insult.."

I have been scrubbed a few times. [emoticon]

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original prediction posted here may be true but only time will tell. Since most people buying RVs finance them and try to get low payments with the longest terms possible, may are already "under water" before they drive it off the Dealer's lot. When they go to sell they expect to make a little something rather than loosing a whole lot, so they tend to hold out for close to their asking prices. That may find many of them spiraling into bankruptcy or repossession. No matter what scenario plays out, with a glut of RVs on the used market it signals some hard times ahead for the manufacturers as they try to compete with the "slightly used" market.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I should have been more specific, I should have said "I think with the insane cost of owning a home more will be heading to the RV lifestyle."

It's cheap to live in the Thousand Trails system as one example.

I am not sure what folks are doing to have an "insane" cost of owning a home.

Granted, I live in a very rural area but only 20 miles in the nearest city from me it is not unusual for a 1/4 acre plot of land to cost over $50K..

Insane costs typically come from living way to close to a large city or suburbs of a large city..

Sometimes best to be willing to sacrifice the convenience of up close living in a large city and opt for a longer commute as a trade off. I commuted 100 miles per day for the last 23 yrs.

I bought an cheap old fixer upper on several acres of land out of the way, gutted and rehabbed as I had the money to do so. I bought what I could afford on a single income even though we both worked. We paid extra on the mortgage, paid it off in half the time saving a huge amount of money.

Been paid off for the last 30 yrs, now all we pay is property taxes ($800 per yr), electric, gas for heat.. Our costs are no where close to insane levels.

The city local to me it is no issue finding 1 bedroom apartments for $500-$600 per month, granted there may be places where you might have to pay $1,000 or more in certain cities but, but, you have a choice..

You can choose to continue to live in that expensive city or move to other places with lower cost housing and perhaps find a better paying job at the same time (I have had to change jobs multiple times over the yrs to get better pay). Absolutely no one is locked into staying in a place that is not affordable or even a bad or low paying job, they have the option to move where cost of living is lower.

Choosing a RV is a very poor decision if you are looking for a cheap alternative place to stay but for some reason folks seem to think all RVrs live for cheap or free.. It is far from that and I am sure you fully understand that.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

This is an interesting thread and we all have opinions... But, if I could read the future, I would know what stock to buy or what crypto and would be a multi millionaire by now...

I think an interesting sign will be how full storage lots are come fall. When people are no longer camping, kids back to school, etc. How many people didn't consider the cost of storing their camper all year and add that to their monthly payment. Not even considering how far they have to drive to store it. Many lots were full before this rush on RV's, so what will happen this fall? Not sure, I have 5 acres and can park for free all winter so not a worry for me. A neighbor is storing 5 RV's at his place and making a nice little side gig...

Good point Thermoguy! The storage lots will soon fill up for those who can't store on their property and most likely many can't and for those that leave their units parked in the street, well, they're going to get a reminder of the CCR's that they never bothered to read, then where will they store their RV?

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

mr_andyj wrote:

I gave a very insightful reply yesterday, but...

This will soon be deleted too.

mr_andyj, I think you have posted your rant in the wrong thread..

While a scrub does hurt the ego, it is for the greater good of the forum. While not a member of some other forums that I look at once and a while, they can often get pretty darn mean down to harassment without some form of of pruning..

Don't take scrubbing as a personal insult..

Reading what is in the post talking about his insightful one, I don't think "Common Good" is much of a priority.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I am not sure what folks are doing to have an "insane" cost of owning a home."

Let's put it this way. There is no way in HE!! I could afford my home that has gone from a ridicules value last September of $666,000 to $850,000 now.

I live on 2.31 acres in the Country.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> My prediction for the future..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.