Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: VERY BAD ROOF/ Please help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> VERY BAD ROOF/ Please help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
SheilaEJ

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Folks

I’m a newbie. Hope you can help.

I’m the new owner of a 1991 30’ Dutchmen Travel Trailer.
It does not travel, located in a seasonal campground in Massachusetts.

The roof has major problems and during rains it poured in, especially in hall area.
I need advice please.
Showed it to one repair person, he said my roof was “ toast” and that the ripples in roof meant that no sealant would do the job. He suggested building a standing RV carport type thing but they are not permitted , and it’s expensive. Or a little pitched roof on top but I don’t think the walls could support that.
Another repair person suggested removing a section of ceiling and replacing trusses. And then sealing roof.

I have roof repair research fatigue. I’d so appreciate any guidance from you folks.
I’m hoping to find a relatively inexpensive way to assess this.
Has anyone ever built a light weight peak roof on top of old travel trailer. Perhaps using canvas and pvc? All ideas welcome. Thank you.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely you have dry rot in the roof, floor and perhaps walls due to the water. ie More extensive than just roof trusses. Do a complete inspection for soft wood areas, a ice pick or screwdriver can help. ie A future sound roof won't resolve dry rot.

Based on what you posted I'll speculate that considering cost and effort replacing the trailer is the best option.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walk the roof. If it is spongy, you need to replace the plywood under the roof membrane. The only way to avoid that is to install an aluminum roof. If you find your plywood is still good, the least expensive fix is a truck-bed spray in liner kit (about $1.00 square foot).

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your camper is basically worth $0, and anything you spend on it will not improve its value, so consider that.
As far as repairing it, you mention a carport which is not allowed, so you’re willing to spend at least a couple few thousand $ ?
Put the money towards another camper.
Without any knowledge or diy abilities, you will only spend a lot of $ having some schmuk patch up your camper.

Your neglect of the camper will cost money to get rectified. Don’t spend the money on that camper.
Sorry to sound blunt, but if what you say is true, the camper is junk now. And even if it wasn’t, it’s still worth virtually nothing. Maybe a couple grand, but sitting on a seasonal and what you describe , it would prolly cost more to just make roadworthy than it’s worth.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if you’re even considering making it into a homeless camp ( the tarp thing), glad I’m not in that campground. Or maybe they allow that???

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your trailer is located in the New England states, a "canvas and PVC" roof is not going to hold up to the snow loads you get and will fail catastrophically and spectacular way at the worst time. For a very "temp" fix you could tarp the roof just to keep anymore water from coming in but that is a very short term fix for a few weeks to a month at best.

Conventional roofing with shingles would be pretty heavy but it is possible that a pitched steel roof will be light weight enough to directly placed on the walls. Depending on your area's building codes, steel roofs typically will use 4ft centers and purlins spaced at 2ft. Which will be far lighter weight than conventional shingled roofing and should not require any framing to the ground.

No matter what you do, you will be spending far more money on this trailer than what it is worth and you might want to look at the idea of finding a newer and in better shape trailer. You have a 30yr old RV, basically worth not much more than the sum of all the scrap prices of the parts..

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Walk the roof. If it is spongy, you need to replace the plywood under the roof membrane. The only way to avoid that is to install an aluminum roof. If you find your plywood is still good, the least expensive fix is a truck-bed spray in liner kit (about $1.00 square foot).

OP, you don’t sound knowledgeable enough to even know if you can walk on the roof without falling through it. Proceed with caution.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be extremely careful on the roof and it may not support you.

"during rains it poured in" Suggests substantal long term problems.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What else leaks like A/C, vents, lights, windows, etc?

Not trying to be negative but rather suggesting you understand the full extent of repairs and plan accordingly.

CarnationSailor

Cathedral City, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

... Based on what you posted I'll speculate that considering cost and effort replacing the trailer is the best option.

X2

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> VERY BAD ROOF/ Please help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.