Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: hot water tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> hot water tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
bertrand

nanaimo

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is air pressure in the hot water tank of my 5th wheel. when the city water is not connected and I empty the water tank and even when the relief valve is open the pressure is so stong it takes the plug right out of my hand. I don't understand why this is happening, does anybody have any ideas?
Bert from Nanaimo

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have pressure when the water is hot, but how can you have pressure with the tank empty? And when the relief is open?

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you heat water in the wh it builds a lot of pressure (water expands when heated) which is why sometimes the relief valve will drip. Even if you disconnect from city water, turn off the water pump, drain the fresh water tank there is still pressure in the wh. There are several way to relieve this pressure. 1 is to simply open a hot water faucet until it quits flowing. 2 is to open the pressure relieve valve but be careful water could still be hot. Only after either of these do you want to open the drain plug.

On edit, if you still have pressure after opening the relief valve I suspect you may have a bad valve.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

When you heat water in the wh it builds a lot of pressure (water expands when heated) which is why sometimes the relief valve will drip. Even if you disconnect from city water, turn off the water pump, drain the fresh water tank there is still pressure in the wh. There are several way to relieve this pressure. 1 is to simply open a hot water faucet until it quits flowing. 2 is to open the pressure relieve valve but be careful water could still be hot. Only after either of these do you want to open the drain plug.

On edit, if you still have pressure after opening the relief valve I suspect you may have a bad valve.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Open a faucet Hotside...that will relieve any pressure in Hot Lines AND Water Heater

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bertrand

nanaimo

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you Wildtoad and Old -Biscuit for your suggestions, I will try what you suggested and I also suspect that I may have a bad valve

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave the faucet open while you open the relief valve. This will let air draw back through the system until everything comes to atmospheric.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> hot water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.