cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hot water tank

bertrand
Explorer
Explorer
there is air pressure in the hot water tank of my 5th wheel. when the city water is not connected and I empty the water tank and even when the relief valve is open the pressure is so stong it takes the plug right out of my hand. I don't understand why this is happening, does anybody have any ideas?
Bert from Nanaimo
5 REPLIES 5

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the faucet open while you open the relief valve. This will let air draw back through the system until everything comes to atmospheric.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bertrand
Explorer
Explorer
thank you Wildtoad and Old -Biscuit for your suggestions, I will try what you suggested and I also suspect that I may have a bad valve

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
When you heat water in the wh it builds a lot of pressure (water expands when heated) which is why sometimes the relief valve will drip. Even if you disconnect from city water, turn off the water pump, drain the fresh water tank there is still pressure in the wh. There are several way to relieve this pressure. 1 is to simply open a hot water faucet until it quits flowing. 2 is to open the pressure relieve valve but be careful water could still be hot. Only after either of these do you want to open the drain plug.

On edit, if you still have pressure after opening the relief valve I suspect you may have a bad valve.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Open a faucet Hotside...that will relieve any pressure in Hot Lines AND Water Heater
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you heat water in the wh it builds a lot of pressure (water expands when heated) which is why sometimes the relief valve will drip. Even if you disconnect from city water, turn off the water pump, drain the fresh water tank there is still pressure in the wh. There are several way to relieve this pressure. 1 is to simply open a hot water faucet until it quits flowing. 2 is to open the pressure relieve valve but be careful water could still be hot. Only after either of these do you want to open the drain plug.

On edit, if you still have pressure after opening the relief valve I suspect you may have a bad valve.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I have pressure when the water is hot, but how can you have pressure with the tank empty? And when the relief is open?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman