cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 EXPLORER MPG WHILE TOWING

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ford Explorer 3.5L 6 speed transmission. Not twin turbo model. Our non towing highway mileage is 20. Towing our 3,5oo pound hybrid mileage drops to 11. Our previous tow vehicle, a Kia Sedona, got 14 and had a bigger motor and five speed tranny. Is this all I can expect for mileage? Does'nt help that it has only a 18.5 gallon fuel capacity
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
15 REPLIES 15

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Hemi problem was fixed with 2016 models. My 2015 got the upgrade under warranty and never had another lifter/cam issue.

I should have mentioned that also. Although rarely we have a couple newer ones roll through the door now and then. Still not an issue.

How many dropped Hemi valve seats have you seen?

Personally only one.
I know I e heard of others, it that was more back in the late 2000’s and very early 10’s.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like the 6.4 Hemi have a higher failure rate than the 5.7 and I wonder if it's due to the higher viscosity oil they run. Anyways I've been seeing more and more Ram HD Hemi's on the road lately.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Hemi problem was fixed with 2016 models. My 2015 got the upgrade under warranty and never had another lifter/cam issue.

I should have mentioned that also. Although rarely we have a couple newer ones roll through the door now and then. Still not an issue.

How many dropped Hemi valve seats have you seen?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I have a 13 limited 3.5 N/A. Highest highway mileage I’ve seen was 22. The only towing I have done with it was my 3 place snowmobile trailer so this was winter in single digits, but it was 8! The only time I have towed in warm weather was a 6X12 U haul with a couch in it, I got 12.
My 12 Chrysler 300 with the Hemi gets better mileage than it.

I would much rather have an engine that burns more fuel vs burns up cams.

What?

The 3rd generation of Hemi engines are poorly designed and it is hard for the cam lobes and roller lifters to get lubed. If they are idled a lot, little or no oil gets splashed up on the cam. The raised cam shaft position caused the cam lifters do not get enough oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTL8QEU2NwE

LOL, well being a tech at a CDJR dealer we don’t see a lot of Hemis letting go, yes they do go bad , but not to the extent they are lined up. I do far more cam, lifter and rockers on the 3.6’s than anything else. With the amount of Hemi engines on the street the percentage that have a cam/lifter failure are small. And those that do fail are either very high mileage of never were maintained properly with frequent oil changes!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I have a 13 limited 3.5 N/A. Highest highway mileage I’ve seen was 22. The only towing I have done with it was my 3 place snowmobile trailer so this was winter in single digits, but it was 8! The only time I have towed in warm weather was a 6X12 U haul with a couch in it, I got 12.

What?

The 3rd generation of Hemi engines are poorly designed and it is hard for the cam lobes and roller lifters to get lubed. If they are idled a lot, little or no oil gets splashed up on the cam. The raised cam shaft position caused the cam lifters do not get enough oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTL8QEU2NwE
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

What. :h
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

What?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
Thanks guys. It is what it is. Wish it had a larger fuel tank. Happy Trails ya all

Yeah - I have a 2016 Explorer with the V6. I don't tow with it as it is my daily driver work vehicle. But I can say it has a ridiculously small fuel tank. What was Ford thinking? It's the smallest gas tank I have ever had on an SUV...

As a side note, I wouldn't tow with mine, I think it would kill the transmission, but that's just the way I feel about it. It struggles going up steep hills with no load.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. It is what it is. Wish it had a larger fuel tank. Happy Trails ya all
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Small gas motor with the wind resistance of a hybrid, I don't think I"d expect much better. We used to tow a pop up with a Pilot that had a 3.5 and we got 14ish but that was lower and wasn't dragging the wind.

The only tow vehicles that get decent mileage are diesel and decent is relative.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is