cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remove/replace onboard generator

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Recently sold the TT and picked up a TC. Already had a nice Honda EU2200 for the TT, didn't really 'need' a camper with an onboard generator but it came with one (Onan 2500 LP).

It seems to run fine... low hours (just about due for it's first 20 hr oil change)... noticeably louder than the Honda, plus the vibration...

On the one hand, it *is* awful nice to be able to just fire up the generator with the push of a button, when needed. No setting up the gen set, running out the shore power cable to it, making sure it's secured when we're not around, no worrying about it getting stolen...

But on the other hand, we don't (currently) use a ton of AC power while camping. The majority - other than the air conditioner - could easily be handled by adding solar, upgrading the batteries, and an inverter/charger, all of which are already on the 'to-do' list. If it's just for the times/trips where we're planning on being some place warm-ish and anticipate needing A/C... then setting up the generator and shore power cable, and giving it a quick pull to start... isn't a huge deal

Honestly, what I'd *like* to have is one of the new Onan 2500/2800 inverter generators - almost as quiet as the Honda, way less vibration than the OEM version, and all the pros of an onboard gen set. I'm guessing those might be a bit spendier than I'm willing to go for, though ๐Ÿ˜‰

If I *were* to pull the Onan 2500 LP gen set out... is there any kind of used market for these things? Better to leave the 'generator pre-wire' in place, or yank it at the same time?
36 REPLIES 36

specta
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

Onboard gennys are a lot less likely to get stolen at a campground too.

I never leave my portable genny out of the trailer if it's not running. Once I am done using it, it goes back in the trailer.

Sad isn't it.

My friend that I camp with has a Gorilla cable lock that he secures his to his TT with. I used to lock mine to my trailer too.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:
I just love having a built in generator.

Onboard gennys are a lot less likely to get stolen at a campground too.

I never leave my portable genny out of the trailer if it's not running. Once I am done using it, it goes back in the trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I know its really no big deal to drag the cord out and plug it into a portable generator, I did that with my first camper.

I just love having a built in generator. Its always there. Its always ready, just push the button. That's all it ever takes.
Kenny

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:
I certainly don't want one of those gaudy racks hanging off the front of my truck.

Where would I carry one if I didn't take my ATV on the trailer along?

My Portable genny goes in the trailer too. OOPS, It's not very portable though.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Who wants to bother with dragging around a divorced generator?
I certainly don't want one of those gaudy racks hanging off the front of my truck.

Where would I carry one if I didn't take my ATV on the trailer along?

Glad we all have choices.
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody has different camping ideas.
Over 30 years of camping, when my sons grew up camping and never had working TV in any.
One time we've been camping during Super bowl weekend, when on next site Saturday afternoon a pickup brought 60" big screen TV. They set it between the tents, watch the match following day and left right after.
Not sure they ever walk down to the lake.

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Oh yeah, itโ€™s too hard to go outside and pull the starter cord.. I wouldnโ€™t ever want to go outside when Iโ€™m in the camper.
I mean, who would ever want to go outside?
Itโ€™s definitely a deal breaker to have to go outside to start the genny.

Right on.....
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah, itโ€™s too hard to go outside and pull the starter cord.. I wouldnโ€™t ever want to go outside when Iโ€™m in the camper.
I mean, who would ever want to go outside?
Itโ€™s definitely a deal breaker to have to go outside to start the genny.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
imjustdave wrote:
Are you making a video on what you needed to change to install this?
I'm considering the same

Other than a longer propane line (36" to replace the 24") I didn't need to change anything to install it.

Another video of the sound comparison is coming later this week.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I never had good luck with marine deep charge batteries.
They always die just days after 3 years warranty expires.
For the same money I bought automotive battery with 96 months warranty.

I figured that you bought automotive batteries when you told us that you were too cheap to by RV batteries and just borrowed them from under the hood of your car.
Kenny

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I too had batteries in the truck bed. Two GC, and they stayed there all the time. I hooked up with Anderson plugs. There was the original one in the TC that stayed there too.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I never had good luck with marine deep charge batteries.
They always die just days after 3 years warranty expires.
For the same money I bought automotive battery with 96 months warranty.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I just purchased two new group 29 deep cycle batteries.

I have my 2nd battery in the bed of my truck. There's enough room for a 3rd battery if I so desired.
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
A significant problem with adding batteries is that the generator compartments arenโ€™t designed to carry hundreds of lbs. If you donโ€™t mind destroying your TC, I guess you could try it. You could put the batteries in the bed or attached to the frame, but you still need payload capacity to do it, and most people are already overloaded.

You have lot of space for batteries on the side of the truck bed and (some) Lance campers do have side door there to make it easy.
When I had overloaded F250, I put extra batteries on front platform.
Again, 100lb of new generation battery gives you lot of a-h, when most of bigger campers have battery compartment design to carry like 160 lb.
That is for owners who have lot of disposable cash obviously.
I am cheap and I pull battery from my car and boat, when going camping.