cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License plates

rhodedog98
Explorer
Explorer
where does everyone put their license plate for their truck thats not in plain view?
62 REPLIES 62

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed one added benefit lately from leaving plate on truck. The toll roads that take a picture and send you a bill for driving on their toll roads, they never have come.
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

rhodedog98
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone for their answers. I started this thread hoping to hear from someone in my state but didn't, for the people in the western states this was a good topic. I made up my mind and keeping the plate on the truck. I have a hitch on the truck I thought maybe I should run a extension with the plate welded on it. Maybe the LEO'S would find something wrong with that. THANKS again.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
just for education purposes. There are people that I know here in the SF Bay area that have been pulled over and cited for obstructed lic plates in their cars. The obstruction? A hitch mounted bicycle rack that did not have a bicycle in it. Kind of why every hitch mounted Wheelchair carrier comes with a Lic Plate frame with a plate light.

Oh and they now charge you a not cheap administrative fee to process that fix it ticket.

Plate is on my TC for that reason

My experience was not with a TC; I had a pickup set up with snowplow, but registered to be legal pulling a Bobcat. 1 of my hands wrecked his car, so he was using that pickup to drive home across the state line. Now it would be illegal to haul a load intra-state on that side of line, driver and truck where legal for what he was doing (Proven in court) Over the course of about a month he was stopped 6 times. 2 warnings, 3 tickets and 1 arrest and vehicle impounded. (Second time stopped on the same day, my driver tried to educate the cop)

MORSNOW wrote:
I'll bet it's pretty rare for any of us Truck Camper folks to get pulled over, it's not like we are sports cars or a beater with a heater with expired tags.

I have seen some pretty ragged PU/TC units. And I bet if some LEOs learn out of state owners will just pay the fine more will get stopped.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:

TIME A CLOSE the thread!!!

THEN QUIT POSTING IN IT!!!!!
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing in the entire country of 50 states there has never been a TC pulled over for placing a license plate on the TC's license plate location.
You can argue that a TC is cargo, but when it is bolted/chained on and electrically plugged in and working with the brake lights, running lights and blinkers, that it is part of the truck. A judge will be hard-pressed to say your TC is not the vehicle and you have illegally placed a license plate on it where it can be easily seen by the police and will cite you for this...
This post is beyond silly.

TIME A CLOSE the thread!!!

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I'll bet it's pretty rare for any of us Truck Camper folks to get pulled over, it's not like we are sports cars or a beater with a heater with expired tags.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
specta wrote:
Simple, follow your state law.

Likely this is best practice, but if the laws of the state you are in are different don't get mad when you get stopped. Remember it is not your job to educate cops, but you might have to pay a lawyer to have a judge school him.

If I got cited in another state I'd just pay the fine and be on my merry way.

Ditto.

I live in Oregon and most of my travels are there and Washington. Both states require camper title/registration and plates. Other than in this silly forum, I've never heard of folks "moving" their truck plate when a camper is loaded.

Typical RVNET - 6 pages!!

- Mark0.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
specta wrote:

Likely this is best practice, but if the laws of the state you are in are different don't get mad when you get stopped. Remember it is not your job to educate cops, but you might have to pay a lawyer to have a judge school him.

If I got cited in another state I'd just pay the fine and be on my merry way.
Kenny

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
just for education purposes. There are people that I know here in the SF Bay area that have been pulled over and cited for obstructed lic plates in their cars. The obstruction? A hitch mounted bicycle rack that did not have a bicycle in it. Kind of why every hitch mounted Wheelchair carrier comes with a Lic Plate frame with a plate light.

Oh and they now charge you a not cheap administrative fee to process that fix it ticket.

Plate is on my TC for that reason
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
bigfootgrey wrote:
For the amount of time it takes to transfer the plate from truck to camper itโ€™s worth it to avoid any situations. Just remember to move it before loading the camper so you donโ€™t have to crawl underneath. Did that more than once.

Except where it's illegal to do so... That's what started this whole thread, or maybe I've got my threads crossed, but IIRC it was something to the effect of asking a law enforcement officer about it and:

1. Attaching the plate to anything but the vehicle is something that would get you pulled over.
2. Not having the plate visible is something that would get you pulled over.
3. Making a copy of the plate to display on the camper is something that would get you pulled over.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reality Check wrote:

Never said anything about money. Has nothing to do with money. Seriously, if Barney Fife from podunk somewhere is trying to fill the coffers for the tiny muni he's working for, I guess you're screwed. License plate light, incorrectly aimed headlights, 2 mph over, straddled the white line and you don't have a litter bag. Should of stayed home.

Despite all the world wanting to believe the police are tax collectors/have quotas, etc etc, it just isn't true. Police find criminals more often than you'll ever know, via fishing expeditions. Starts with little stuff, like Traffic violations and Terry stops. And I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now, and it doesn't take two hands to count how many have actually been 'hassled' because of this plate issue. Fact, I don't remember any, but in fairness, I don't read everything.

Part of that 1/4% group, but then, what do I know.

As for police/tax collector issue, it has been proven that many small, and some not so small towns get a large percentage of their budget from fines. Right now, in the southern part of the KC metro area, law enforcement is having a big push because a bridge replacement has stopped all thru traffic for a few months.
Areas in many states the HP stop you for any reason might collect any cash you have with you, and never write a ticket for what they stopped you for.

While I have no idea about TC having issues but in Mo, if you want to be legal with GVW, or GCVW over 6 tons the state will only issue 1 plate, and by law it must be displayed on the front
And small towns in the West side of the metro will stop pickups only because they have no plate visible from rear

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
For the amount of time it takes to transfer the plate from truck to camper itโ€™s worth it to avoid any situations. Just remember to move it before loading the camper so you donโ€™t have to crawl underneath. Did that more than once.
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.