cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Camper Bumpers

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
Can this rubber bumper be attached to the white vertical strips on my camper? Is this where they are supposed to be mounted? Is there structure behind the strip that can be screwed into, or just as deep as the strip allows? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Most campers, or at least AF campers, those bumpers are basically useless.
Both campers we’ve had I had to space the camper off the front of the truck bed further.
Kinda like Kayteg was saying.
PS not sure what you’re trying to accomplish or why you’d move them from where located in the pic.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my bumpers with these getting me a little closer to the front wall of the bed. WC bumpers are 4" long. Granger had these which are 2&1/4".

I gave up on the pic...

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Yes there is structure behind in the corners...

Maybe there is, maybe not.
This is picture from my Fleetwood rebuild.
The bottom 1 x 6 plank and metal corners are my addition.
Originally it was "toothpick" at the bottom, that got rotten fast.
The camper had a sign "aluminum frame" on it, where you don't see any aluminum on front.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes there is structure behind in the corners. So bumpers (for needed Stablecamper storage room) could be mounted to the strips as long as screws reach structure.

Id caution about drilling for the center storage bracket, Drill no deeper that absolutely necessary. I assume your camper, like most, that water tank is on the other side of that front wall. Though likley a gap between tank and wall, drilling a hole in tank has happened more than once. Myself I'd open the tank box lid and verify.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Guessing those white strips are connecting the white siding panels only, however, at the corner should be significant structure framework which you can attach to.
Most people in this situation lay a board or something in the truck bed all the way across which spreads the load across the entire front of the camper ensuring it hits a strong point.
Can you peek inside and see how the camper is made and find where the structure framework is for sure?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Those bumpers get shear off easily.
I added 3/4" pieces of hardwood as their replacement and was putting 1x6 board on front of the bed to do the job.
Taper the lower ends of hardwood.