cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/T P tires in front, Highway LT's in back, any problem?

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 excursion had an OK set of All terrain tires i was hoping to get another year out of. The fronts were new, rears were in good shape but then i had a blowout.

I want to migrate to Michelin LTX but i can only afford two this month.

Maybe get the other two in the Fall after camping season.

Is there any problem with this other than my truck not looking cool?
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
30 REPLIES 30

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

The implication is because we did it "all the time" in the 60's and 70's, that it's not a problem on any modern vehicle, and that is incorrect.

I bet with any brand new 4X2 pickup adult driven, with Ps on the front, LTs on the rear will have no handling issues. Now we got to share the road with the guys that think need tires so big they won't fit under the body. They do affect handling.

Handling is not the problem. Mechanics is the problem.

On a 4x2 the main thing you have to worry about is your ABS. When your front tires are going at a different speed than your rears, will the ABS kick on at 5MPH, because it thinks one or the other is skidding? If the difference is small enough, maybe not, but taken to the extreme, you could very easily have trouble.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

The implication is because we did it "all the time" in the 60's and 70's, that it's not a problem on any modern vehicle, and that is incorrect.

I bet with any brand new 4X2 pickup adult driven, with Ps on the front, LTs on the rear will have no handling issues. Now we got to share the road with the guys that think need tires so big they won't fit under the body. They do affect handling.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s not a problem at all unless any of the tires arenโ€™t suited for the load or itโ€™s going to be in awd or 4wd with different diameters.
ABS wonโ€™t even be an issue in my experience although grossly different diameters may be.
We put 1 or 2 new tires on our work trucks all the time. Some of them run around with the spare on 1 wheel almost perpetually it seems. And not likely same tread and likely not the exact same diameter (diff tread/brand/wear).

Yโ€™all make mountains out of mole hills hereโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

Because vehicles are EXACTLY the same as they were in the 60's and 70's...

First off back then vehicles were almost all rear wheel drive with open differentials. No ABS. No all wheel drive. Heck not even four wheel drive unless you owned a ranch or were a forest ranger.

Of course having different size/type tires front and back is not a concern on a basic RWD vehicle.

I think I said 4X4 could be a issue, unless you stay on slick surfaces. A 2 wheel drive pickup is real close to a basic RWD vehicle. If the tires on the back match each other your differential will be quite content, no matter the size of tires on the front.

Beyond that it depends on how your ABS system works. If it compares front and rear rotation rates you might have trouble with the ABS activating, having different size tires front and rear.

Yes, I understand that the P and LT tires may have the same NOMINAL size, but they can be different diameters.

Yes, there is a good chance P and LT tires will be different circumference. But 2 LT tires with different load range will be different height under same load. Bell, back in the '70s a stack of brand new, same brand truck tires same size 11:00 22.5s good vary over a inch in circumference.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
hertfordnc wrote:
Well folks, i certainly learned a lot in this conversation.

Turns out it's all moot, the shop just called to tell me the slow leak on one of my GOOD front tires is a small sidewall puncture so i ordered two more Michelins. - PAINFUL

Well, that's good you have it figured out.
But don't feel bad about 2 of them, I have to order 6 Michelins!

The painful part is paying good money for Michelins....
Not sure about y'alls parts, but if getting "stock" size pavement pounder tires, especially on an old truck that may have 16" or 17" wheels, generally you can find a set of new or good tread newer takeoff wheels and tires combo for less than a set of new new tires.

If I'm just looking for new rubber that's generally what I'll do even if it means selling the old rims and tires. Someone will always buy a complete set, although if you have 2 mismatches and a puncture, the whole mess really aint worth shizz unless the wheels are real nice.

hertfordnc wrote:

Turns out it's all moot, the shop just called to tell me the slow leak on one of my GOOD front tires is a small sidewall puncture so i ordered two more Michelins. - PAINFUL

Well, that's good you have it figured out.
But don't feel bad about 2 of them, I have to order 6 Michelins!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer

Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

First off back then vehicles were almost all rear wheel drive with open differentials. No ABS. No all wheel drive. Heck not even four wheel drive unless you owned a ranch or were a forest ranger.

Of course having different size/type tires front and back is not a concern on a basic RWD vehicle.

I think I said 4X4 could be a issue, unless you stay on slick surfaces. A 2 wheel drive pickup is real close to a basic RWD vehicle. If the tires on the back match each other your differential will be quite content, no matter the size of tires on the front.

Beyond that it depends on how your ABS system works. If it compares front and rear rotation rates you might have trouble with the ABS activating, having different size tires front and rear.

Yes, I understand that the P and LT tires may have the same NOMINAL size, but they can be different diameters.

Yes, there is a good chance P and LT tires will be different circumference. But 2 LT tires with different load range will be different height under same load. Bell, back in the '70s a stack of brand new, same brand truck tires same size 11:00 22.5s good vary over a inch in circumference.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cast your votes now for silly thread of the week for this beauty!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mike134 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Does nobody remember "snow tires"? Back in the day most people, on most vehicles, ran rear tires that did not match the front for about half the year.
(On my pickups, snow tires in winter, then spring I would name them "Mud Grips")
As for different size F/R. 2 wheel drive, this is not a issue. 4 Wheel drive, can be a problem unless on surfaces you need 4 WD, and tires can slip

X2!! Plus in the early days they always recommended keeping radial tires and bias tires on the same axle, lots of mix and matching back in the old days.

You'll be fine don't listen to the online negative Nellies.

Of course having different size/type tires front and back is not a concern on a basic RWD vehicle. You could even have grossly different size tires side to side on the front with no ill effects, as there are nothing but dumb wheel bearings up there.

When there is a differential in the mix, then it becomes more important. Differentials 99.999% of the time act like solid axles, with both tires turning at the same rate as long as the tires are the same size in the same state of wear. Things only move back when making turns, and maybe a little bit of back and forth movement going straight down the highway.

When you put different size tires on a differential axle, the spider gears are turning all the time. They're not meant to do that CONSTANTLY, only on turns, and when you get up to highway speeds, things can be whipping around in there pretty violently, leading to excessive wear and early failure of your differential.

Having all four tires the same size and type is most important on an AWD vehicle, as there is a third differential between the front and rear axles.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My question was about mixing highway tread (LTs) in the rear and All Terrain (Ps) in the front.

You may have a bit of difference in hard braking (F to R) especially on wet pavement. The scenario I mentioned above was a highway tread on the front axle and something like huge gumbo mudders on the rear with those big lugs and voids.
Once you learn how the starting and stopping traction is just drive around those differences.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™d keep a close watch on the pressures if running 78% nitrogen fill at cruise speeds above 143mph if 87lbs over FAWR/ GVWR/ GCWR.

Other than that it should handle like a pickup truck.

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Fed regs require a P tire load capacity to be derated by dividing its capacity by 1.1 when mounted on a truck or trailer. A 2600 lb rated P tire capacity now = 2360 lbs so make sure that number fits the vehicle mfg GAWR requirements for that axle.

Ok, i think this horse is dead.

I just looked at the door sticker- "Front Axle Gross Weight 4300 LB"

Really, i had been running LT's in the back and Ps in the front for 30,000 miles (12,000 towing.

My question was about mixing highway tread (LTs) in the rear and All Terrain (Ps) in the front.

I rembember the transition to radial tires and hearing that they did not mix well with bias ply,
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Does nobody remember "snow tires"? Back in the day most people, on most vehicles, ran rear tires that did not match the front for about half the year.
(On my pickups, snow tires in winter, then spring I would name them "Mud Grips")
As for different size F/R. 2 wheel drive, this is not a issue. 4 Wheel drive, can be a problem unless on surfaces you need 4 WD, and tires can slip

LOL...back then most pickup trucks on the road around here anywayz had OEM tires on the front and huge tires on the rear. I had no problems with the different F/R sizes with all bias ply.... or all radials.
I found out from actual experience not to mix radials with bias ply. One doesn't track the other very well. Like driving with 10 psi in the rear and carrying a load.

Fed regs require a P tire load capacity to be derated by dividing its capacity by 1.1 when mounted on a truck or trailer. A 2600 lb rated P tire capacity now = 2360 lbs so make sure that number fits the vehicle mfg GAWR requirements for that axle.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides