cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV generator wont start

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer
RV generator will crank but sputter out and make this whining noise if it was primed. If it is not primed then it just continuously turns but wont stay on or get enough to make any electronics go on. I attached a video below of the noise.

I haven’t tried to run the generator in a month and a half... my mistake but before that I ran it everyday
Gas tank is half full
Carburetor was cleaned a few moths ago
I hooked up a jump starter with full charge to the house battery and tried running the generator to see if that changed anything

Youtube video
https://youtu.be/z8e0rmX0Bxk
9 REPLIES 9

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
dradeng wrote:
When I unhooked the gas line from the carbuerator and primed it only a trickle came out. But when I disconnected the gas line right before the pump there was no gas coming out of the line. Does that mean its not a pump problem but something inbetween my gas tank and that line?
Pretty sure with your setup the pump is sucking gas from the tank.

Removing the fuel line going to the fuel pump should not produce a constant flow of gas, because the gas tank is lower.

You could buy 1 foot of fuel line from the auto store. Put that onto the fuel pump inlet and stick in a container of gas.

Hit prime again and see how much gas the pump shoots out. If it's still a trickle, it's most likely a bad pump.

If it turns out to pump strong it could be a clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel line between the pump and the gas tank.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly could be that there is a leak in the hose between tank and pump-- that could suck air but not enough PSI to leak fuel.

Verify you are over 1/3 tank of fuel, as the generator pick up is HIGHER than that for the engine. If lower than the generator pickup, you absolutely WILL suck air.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer
When I unhooked the gas line from the carbuerator and primed it only a trickle came out. But when I disconnected the gas line right before the pump there was no gas coming out of the line. Does that mean its not a pump problem but something inbetween my gas tank and that line?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Check the fuel filter and fuel pump. If its the fuel pump, you can replace it with an off the shelf low-pressure pump ($25). Also check the rubber fuel hoses....could be cracked if they are old.

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
Check oil level
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

wra
Explorer
Explorer
Some times the fuel shut off valve gets stuck. Follow the wires to the carburetor, and it should guide you to the valve. Remove and clean the needle and seat.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Pull off the fuel hose going into the carb and take video of you hitting the prime button. People might be able to tell if the stream is normal or very weak.

Always easy to remove the air filter and hit the start button with a squirt of starting fluid or carb cleaner down the intake. If the genny runs then you know youre getting spark.

If you have more fuel line laying around you can gravity feed new gas into the carb using a dry water bottle and fuel line into the cap.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you verify gas is getting to carb?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check or replace the fuel filter the air filter...good luck