Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: How to charge a battery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to charge a battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have access to a 1000w generator while I am camping fora few days. Would just plugging in my trailer to it be good enough to charge the battery for a few hours, or should I put a charger directly to the generator and battery to charge it? I have a 6a/4a/2a

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the converter size in amps and how low the batteries are. A 1000w gen can only run maybe a 45 amp converter, and that is with no other 120v appliance in the trailer on. So put the WH and fridge to propane and no hair dryers.

If you have a bigger amp converter you can reduce its draw on the gen by charging when the batts are not so low and they accept fewer amps. If your converter has a Charge Wizard, you can set it to 13.6 at first until the batts are up some and then switch to 14.4 once the gen can take it.

The 6a charger is a waste of good gen gas.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plugging into the genset using an adapter is the easiest. How fast charge would be determined by what converter you have. Some converters charger at a much higher rate then your portable one.
Make and model of your converter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Depends on the converter size in amps and how low the batteries are. A 1000w gen can only run maybe a 45 amp converter, and that is with no other 120v appliance in the trailer on. So put the WH and fridge to propane and no hair dryers.

If you have a bigger amp converter you can reduce its draw on the gen by charging when the batts are not so low and they accept fewer amps. If your converter has a Charge Wizard, you can set it to 13.6 at first until the batts are up some and then switch to 14.4 once the gen can take it.

The 6a charger is a waste of good gen gas.

What is a WH?

The only other things would be lights.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Plugging into the genset using an adapter is the easiest. How fast charge would be determined by what converter you have. Some converters charger at a much higher rate then your portable one.
Make and model of your converter?

How would I find out what my converter can do?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WH is short for water heater. Some rigs have an electric element.
Make and model of converter can be looked up to determine charge capacity.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

How would I find out what my converter can do?
You look at the model number and search its specs.

If you dont know where your converter is located, i promise its well worth putting on some old clothes and go lay under your trailer. Look around and wiggle stuff. See any signs of plumbing leaking? Any signs of rodents?

Find your converter and tighten the main lugs. Would bet a million bucks you could add 1/4 turn on them if they havnt been touched in years. Cut power to the entire trailer and tighten every screw on the electrical service. I had a bunch of loose terminals on a 2013 trailer i bought in 2018.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To compare converter versus generator versus charger, you could measure the voltage across your battery terminals while charging with each and see which one produces the highest voltage.

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 1,000 watt generator is really around 800 watts usually. I doubt it would handle a 45 amp charger.You need at least a 2,000 watt unit to run a 45 amp I would think. You could just pick up a 15 to 25 amp smart charger and connect it manually. I've used my 15 Amp Stanley charger with a small generator.

Open the door to your "breaker panel" or power center. Inside will be a label with the brand and model. Most RV's I've owned had the converter in the bottom of the power center box. I had one big 5th wheel with a separate converter wired to the power center, not sure why. The converter was mounted right behind the power center, I would expect to find it next to the batteries. But instead it was below the bathroom sink cabinet.

When your batteries are down to 12.40 volts, how fast do they charge? Whats the charging voltage? The WFCO converters I've had did okay plugged in for days at a time, but on generator power I never saw any of mine hit the 14.4 volt mode. On generator you want the "boost mode" for faster charging.

I prefer something like this in my rigs: https://www.bestconverter.com/PD4655MBA-........lax-7155-Includes-4600-Remote_p_616.html

You want the charge wizard pendent so you can manually control the boost mode. At least I do. The Boondocker version doesn't come with the pendant last I checked. I like the four stage wildkat or the name brand progressive dynamics converters with manual control pendant.

The last one I installed replaced a 8955 that charged at 13.23 volts, my WildKat converter starts out at 14.33 at the battery terminals. Then it drops down to the mid 13.50 range in auto mode. It does a good job, batteries get fully charged much quicker now. Healthy and fairly new batteries should rest at 12.70 or more when fully charged.

You can use a basic digital voltage meter at the converter and at the batteries to see how much drop there is in the cables. When testing the health of the converter, take your voltage reading at the converter's DC terminals.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to charge a battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.