Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Considering move from class A to C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Considering move from class A to C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I would suggest that you look into one on a Chevy Chassis there you will have none of the heat problems from the doghouse,a larger cockpit area,better handling, and a much smoother riding RV.

Why Chevy? What's the matter with a Ford engine/chassis?

If you read THE CLICKY it pretty much spells it out.[emoticon]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Jay wrote:

That is a NICE rig you linked to ( 2002 32' Country Coach ). It looks to be in great shape for a 2002. Even so, I would say the price looks high, but I also realize that this is a seller's market, not a buyer's market.

I've been checking out used CC's for about 10 years and 32-footers are VERY rare. So $99k isn't unreasonable, especially in this market.

Rick Jay wrote:

So what is your budget for your next rig?

$30k

Rick Jay wrote:

Maybe you could sell your current rig now and then next year when RV prices plummet (a prediction I just made using my crystal ball! LOL) you might be able to pick something along the lines of that Country Coach for a better price.

Already sold my 2001 Newmar for a good price. Yes, I plan to buy next year.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 gasser)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 gasser)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I wasn't going to reply, but your emoji clinched it for me. I'm not going to wade through a 23-page thread started in 2011.

A summary would have been nice, especially from someone as knowledgeable as yourself.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/21 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ezgoin wrote:

Hi all,

Senior citizen here. I’ve been considering moving to a class C (from class A) thinking it may be easier and more comfortable to drive. However, after reading some of the threads regarding the heat issue around the dog house, I’m not sure I need more heat. (I live in Arizona.)
Is the heat and noise issue as considerable as some mention? Having never driven a class C, I assumed the driving would be less stressful, but now I’m starting to rethink the idea.

Have any of you made the move I’m considering?

Thanks,
Bill

Maybe the older class C have the heat issue but I have a new 2021 class B+/C with the 7.3 and there is zero heat from the doghouse and the motor is very quiet..

Stays cool around the doghouse even here in Las Vegas heat..

I am now getting 11.5 mpg average.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/21 12:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

TechWriter wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I would suggest that you look into one on a Chevy Chassis there you will have none of the heat problems from the doghouse,a larger cockpit area,better handling, and a much smoother riding RV.

Why Chevy? What's the matter with a Ford engine/chassis?

That's a old thread..

I have a 2021 Ford E-350 Super Duty with the 7.3 and zero heat from the doghouse..

I also own many work vans for my business and Chevy and Ford has near the same leg room..

The new Ford E-350 Super Duty has good leg room and the best V-8 ever made, Godzilla 7.3L

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not going to wade into the chevy vs ford debate, but we did downsize from a 40 ft diesel funmover. The 23u Chateau we bought is fantastic for getting into smaller campgrounds. It's easier to get gas, maneuver in tight highways. We tow a 4 door wrangler for longer trips, hang a motorcycle off the back when wanted.

I would suggest (works for me as I get older) you get one with at least 2 different places to sit. Sitting at a dinette gets old, I shift to the barrel chair, you may have a couch..etc. 2 places to sit. Its very versatile, lots of storage and if a guest comes we dont want sleeping outside, there's that bunk. Any ford place will handle repairs.

Handling issues were easily solved by a few hundred dollars worth of suspension upgrades.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep the floor cool in our Ford chassis Class C by setting the dash air conditioning so that some cool air exits down at the floor. This a simple solution using the Ford dash controls right there in the cab.

(Our cab floor never got real hot anyway, maybe because Winnebago or Ford mounted heat shields underneath between the exhaust pipes and the cab floor.)

Using the cab controls keeps any floor heat nicely at bay in any case. However, our cab controls are not "labeled clearly" as to how to do this - I had to discover this on my own: Turn the air flow control to the "MIX" position and turn the air temperature control into the blue air conditioning range. Set the fan speed high - on setting 3 or 4.

Doing the above causes nice cool air to flow over us into the cab from the windshield defrost vents, and ... nice cool air to blast down at the floor by our feet! Control how cool this feels by how far into the blue range you turn the air temperature control knob.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbigham wrote:

I would suggest (works for me as I get older) you get one with at least 2 different places to sit. Sitting at a dinette gets old, I shift to the barrel chair, you may have a couch. Two places to sit. Its very versatile

Yes Indeed!

Our rig has a dinette and a 3rd seat, originally with a barrel chair that I changed with a 3rd matching captain chair. That was one of my better modifications that cost me around $400.

Before with barrel chair.
[image]

After with the matching captain seat.
[image]

The front-most dinette bench seat is used as an ottoman here.
[image]

Here, the front passenger seat is the ottoman.
[image]

Needless to say, we fight over this seat. It is also a nice seat for a third passenger. When adjusted out into the isle and swiveled forward, the passenger can look out the windshield fairly well.

FYI: Our scaled-down 93" wide rig has no slide outs. This is our interior, the picture taken from the rear corner double bed.
[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, from your photos above it looks like the captain's chair also slides forward and backward? (as well as swiveling)

If so, note that whoever is using the captain's chair in your RV can also face it at the right hand dinette seat, slide the captain's chair all the way forward to be as close to the dinette seat as possible, and then raise up their legs to rest their feet on the dinette cushion. We do this all the time with our very comfortable stock barrel chair.

This is also a good way, from a barrel chair or captain's chair, to watch a small portable TV screen (or computer monitor screen) that is sitting on the dinette table.

DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 35 years of RVing we have owned 7 motorhomes. Started with a 19' Winnebago LeSharo, got all the way up to a 39' Dutch Star DP and then back down to our present Class C 28' Jayco Greyhawk on a Ford E450 chassis with the 6.8L V-10 engine.

We are perfectly happy with our Class C (never felt that there was a heat problem in the cab area as some have mentioned). And as some have stated, the E450 front end does need to be aligned when loaded as you would normally travel. And additional spring support is sometimes needed in the rear.

One thing that's not been mentioned is the additional safety that a Class C chassis provides (vs a Class A), with real front bumpers and air bags. Nice to have if you should ever get involved in an accident.

Our Class C has a large front bunk which we've used to sleep grandkids - - or it's a great storage space as well. Our rig also has a walk around queen bed in the rear as well as lots of storage inside and out. We have almost 80,000 miles on our rig now and don't miss the larger Class A's at all.

Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Considering move from class A to C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.