Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric bikes !!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Electric bikes !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/22 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caveman Charlie wrote:

I would love to have a electric bike. But, as a 58 year old, balding, jeans wearing, heavy set guy, I think I would look stupid on one and people would laugh at me.

Could be worse. Around here if I rode a bike wearing a spandex outfit and a helmet like I see people on TV doing they would beat me up or something. lol
Hey, I'm 58, and jeans wearing. You wouldn't look stupid on one, and if someone said you did what do you care at this age? The exercise is great for you.

Don't do the spandex. EVER!


2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L


dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/22 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

Caveman Charlie wrote:

I would love to have a electric bike. But, as a 58 year old, balding, jeans wearing, heavy set guy, I think I would look stupid on one and people would laugh at me.

Could be worse. Around here if I rode a bike wearing a spandex outfit and a helmet like I see people on TV doing they would beat me up or something. lol
Hey, I'm 58, and jeans wearing. You wouldn't look stupid on one, and if someone said you did what do you care at this age? The exercise is great for you.

Don't do the spandex. EVER!


Don’t be so hard on yourselves. I’m 51 and would have no problem sitting in a chair drinking and making fun of you guys! [emoticon]

Seriously though. I just got my wife an Ebike for mothers day. I’m looking into a kit to convert my bike to an Ebike. Last year me and my buddy rode the Elroy Sparta (WI) trail almost complete about 24 miles. I can tell you I pushed my legs the last 4 miles! An Ebike with pedal assist would’ve been great!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


free radical

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/22 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldnt mind having ev bike like this. [emoticon]

https://youtu.be/0q_ufmHlWsA

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/22 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

I would like to see Electric vehicles (Golf Cars, Bikes, Scooters) with a user settable "Max speed" Governor.

The campground I frequent has a 5MPH speed limit. they don't enforce for Bicycles but it would be nice if I could dial in say 10MPH and not worry about going 20.


Bigger issue is an unrealistic speed limit. Most cars will do more than 5mph just idling on level ground. Realistically, people aren't going to drive around dragging the brakes to keep the speed at 5mph...and there really isn't much need.

Yeah, people can go too fast for conditions but it sounds more like an enforcement issue.

Looping back to the topic...any ideas for an electric bike for a big guy (6'2" - 300lb) without getting crazy expensive.


I'm not much smarter than a box of rocks, but most campgrounds I have been in there is often kids playing in and near the street. What is a reasonable speed limit thru a playground?

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/22 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

I would like to see Electric vehicles (Golf Cars, Bikes, Scooters) with a user settable "Max speed" Governor.

The campground I frequent has a 5MPH speed limit. they don't enforce for Bicycles but it would be nice if I could dial in say 10MPH and not worry about going 20.


Bigger issue is an unrealistic speed limit. Most cars will do more than 5mph just idling on level ground. Realistically, people aren't going to drive around dragging the brakes to keep the speed at 5mph...and there really isn't much need.

As the campground owner said to me this week, "We post it at 5 knowing people will be going faster." They want people keeping it under 10. If it was posted at 10 people would be doing 15+. Just get on a highway posted at 65, that means 75-80 for many.


2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 03/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/26/22 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 2 Aventon Level bikes and love them, no issues and can easily go 30 miles on the battery. Its a pedal assist class 3 bike. We rode them on the carriage roads last year up in Acadia and glad we had them



2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/22 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

I would like to see Electric vehicles (Golf Cars, Bikes, Scooters) with a user settable "Max speed" Governor.

The campground I frequent has a 5MPH speed limit. they don't enforce for Bicycles but it would be nice if I could dial in say 10MPH and not worry about going 20.


Bigger issue is an unrealistic speed limit. Most cars will do more than 5mph just idling on level ground. Realistically, people aren't going to drive around dragging the brakes to keep the speed at 5mph...and there really isn't much need.

As the campground owner said to me this week, "We post it at 5 knowing people will be going faster." They want people keeping it under 10. If it was posted at 10 people would be doing 15+. Just get on a highway posted at 65, that means 75-80 for many.


I'm in the business of setting speed limits...what you describe is an old myth that's been disproven decades ago.

People drive what is reasonable for conditions and they are amazingly good at determining that speed is. Higher or lower speeds on the sign do nothing to change that. Enforcement should be focused on the outliers who are actually a risk.

Industry standard is to measure traffic speeds and set based on that. You will probably find in an RV park it's somewhere around 10-15mph.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/22 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

I would like to see Electric vehicles (Golf Cars, Bikes, Scooters) with a user settable "Max speed" Governor.

The campground I frequent has a 5MPH speed limit. they don't enforce for Bicycles but it would be nice if I could dial in say 10MPH and not worry about going 20.


Bigger issue is an unrealistic speed limit. Most cars will do more than 5mph just idling on level ground. Realistically, people aren't going to drive around dragging the brakes to keep the speed at 5mph...and there really isn't much need.

As the campground owner said to me this week, "We post it at 5 knowing people will be going faster." They want people keeping it under 10. If it was posted at 10 people would be doing 15+. Just get on a highway posted at 65, that means 75-80 for many.


I'm in the business of setting speed limits...what you describe is an old myth that's been disproven decades ago.

People drive what is reasonable for conditions and they are amazingly good at determining that speed is. Higher or lower speeds on the sign do nothing to change that. Enforcement should be focused on the outliers who are actually a risk.

Industry standard is to measure traffic speeds and set based on that. You will probably find in an RV park it's somewhere around 10-15mph.

Fellow traffic engineer here. And in the interest of not derailing this thread, I just repeated what the campground owner said. I've seen speed limits of 7 1/2 in campgrounds. The odd Limit serves the purpose of getting someone's attention on the fact there is a speed limit.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/26/22 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think E bikes are a fantastic invention. Anything that makes it easier for people to get out and continue to do things they may not have otherwise is always a great thing.

And no one cares what you look like doing it. As a long time cyclist I let go of anyone's perception of me while doing it. Cycling clothes are designed for function as are helmets. But if you bike in blue jeans, who cares? Someone else's opinion of you is none of your business.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

willald

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/26/22 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we get too old to ride our regular bikes, we probably will get E-bikes of some kind. Ain't there yet, though, and probably won't for some time. I like my (cheap, lightweight) mountain bike.

We (wife and I) both love to ride, we bring our bikes almost everywhere we camp. Right now, we need the exercise a regular bike gives. I'd be afraid if we had E-bikes, we wouldn't get as much exercise riding. Temptation would be to get lazy and let the motor do a lot of the work.

Still, really good info here, and lots of cool bikes out there. [emoticon]


Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Electric bikes !!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.