Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Filling the water tank at home
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Filling the water tank at home

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/28/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to live where we had city water. We have since moved and now draw our water for our home from a lake. It is perfectly safe and clean, however, some sediment might get through and there can be discolouration. While that doesn't bother me at home, I worry about what I put in my RV tank.

Would you suggest filling it at home or at the campground?

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/28/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a in line filter on the fill hose. I assume this lake water has been checked by the county health dept. It seems to be an unusual water source.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/28/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’re worried about sediment get a good filter that takes out small sediment. Personally I’d put a whole house filter between the well pump and the house. Sediment won’t do good things to ice makers, water heaters, and so on. They are very cheap and effective.


Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/28/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Use a in line filter on the fill hose. I assume this lake water has been checked by the county health dept. It seems to be an unusual water source.
.

Many people who live on lakes pull water from them for both irrigation and household use. To your point, having the water tested periodically is a good idea. The same holds true for the millions of households the get their drinking water from a well. One should always use a filter at CG’s regardless of the water source. Never know when a water line may break.

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/28/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Use a in line filter on the fill hose. I assume this lake water has been checked by the county health dept. It seems to be an unusual water source.
.

Many people who live on lakes pull water from them for both irrigation and household use. To your point, having the water tested periodically is a good idea. The same holds true for the millions of households the get their drinking water from a well. One should always use a filter at CG’s regardless of the water source. Never know when a water line may break.


Well no, it is by no means the same as a well. For background, I wqent to Environmental Engineering school, was the Technical Director of a environmental laboratory. And we underwent frequent inspections by both the state DEP and the USEPA.

A well is not so easily contaminated, a lake on the other hand is open and who knows what is going into the water. Giardia and Cryptosporidium are frequently found in open water, lakes and rivers. Depending on the state DEP and laws you probably are required to have the local county come by and inspect the water source as well as test the water. And to get a permit. Frankly I'm just not familiar in detail to what inspections and what frequency those inspections would be because I've never seen an open lake used as a water source for a home. But on the other hand if the home owner is happy then who am I to complain?

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/28/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Use a in line filter on the fill hose. I assume this lake water has been checked by the county health dept. It seems to be an unusual water source.


We checked it as part of the sale of the house in the winter. It is completely safe.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/28/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

If you’re worried about sediment get a good filter that takes out small sediment. Personally I’d put a whole house filter between the well pump and the house. Sediment won’t do good things to ice makers, water heaters, and so on. They are very cheap and effective.


Lake water, not well water. We have fine filters, but they do clog and it is at that point that we get some sediment. It tells me it is time to change the filters.

I know, we had to replace the HWT due to high sediment build up. I flush it out frequently. I just don't want that problem with my RV tank.

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/28/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw one brand of particulate filter on a vlog that could be flushed out and reused but don't recall the name and could not find it on Amazon when I did know the name.

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

Senior Member

Joined: 02/05/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/28/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just filter it. All you need is a standard sediment filter, add a drinking water filter inline if you want more filtration. I'm sure its better than many City water taps! I went to homedepot and bought two generic water filter canisters for my RV and added brass garden hose fittings on each side and I needed a brass nipple between the canisters. They also had premade units for more than double the cost. I was on some well water with sediment at the time. One sediment filter and one charcoal block drinking water filter on my out side water hose. Kept my tank very clean.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Filtrete-Sta........n-Refill-3WH-STDCW-F02/203582801#overlay

Mike134

Elgin, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2019

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/28/21 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember my first trip to the boundary waters canoe area in Minnesota.
Us city kids were stunned when the outfitter told us to drink the lake water no filter needed.

I must say we had no issues.


2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Filling the water tank at home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.