Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: When do you upgrade
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When do you upgrade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on your budget and the truck you currently own, you are going to be hard pressed to find a camper large enough to do what you want it to do within the capabilities of your truck. To do everything you are looking for no less than an 855 Lance, or an 811 Arctic Fox Camper is in order. These are both short Bed campers with a single slide. To safely handle these campers and tow a boat they will need to sitting on a 1 ton dually, and there is only one manufacturer that builds a shortbed dually, Ram Megacab. You will need to really open up your wallet if you are serious about upgrading! Truck camping with all the amenities and roominess isn’t cheap.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I’ve upgraded my truck once in the 15 years I’ve had my Host. I went from a SRW F350 SC when I used it as a daily driver to the F450 CC once I no longer needed to use it as a daily driver. The TC is still doing fine, but I had probably too big of a TC for a F350 SRW. I had to be very careful about even how much water I carried.

The same TC is great for a F450 even towing a TT behind the TC. I no longer have to worry about how much I’m bringing with me either.

TCs give you a lot of flexibility.

Do you feel restricted by the size of your outfit in terms of overgrown FS roads or driving in snow?

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How old are the "boys"? Most kids who are old enough would want the adventure of their own tent.

Everyone one is different but for many kids the camping days are over when they reach the teenage years.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So, when do you upgrade vs when do you just deal with it? Obviously, prices are stupid high right now so it's not really a good time to do the upgrade unless I stumble on a sick deal which could happen.

We had truck campers when the kids were small back in the early '60s/ and late '70s. We had fish and ski boats so the TC worked ok...however the wife and I wanted more relaxing room. So after 3 truck campers we went with a 24' 5th wheel trailer so we could still pull the 17' 3500 lb fish'n ski boat.

Now were older and looking at TCs again as we don't camp/fish like we did when younger.

When will you make the change....depends on you and how bad you want the change.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been there as well. Started in the early 1980's with a smaller TC for fishing, hunting, and vacations. Then went with a Class C so we could carry bales of diapers and wife and kids could move around. About the time they hit middle school they had activities about every weekend and all summer. Sold the Class C. Retired and bought the first of 3 fifth wheels. Then bought the Bigfoot.
Just me, but I would keep the TC and look around for a used TT. Cover all bases. Being you have a 2500 I would stay away from all but the very lightest 5th wheels. A TT would give you the option of storing kids bicycles etc in the truck bed.
Good luck.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no perfect answer here as you all know. I mentioned to my wife that perhaps our priorities have changed and we should sell the boat. That didn't go over well. We have a trip in a few months back to Oregon and I mentioned I might just sleep in a tent to buy us some time or we would rent a camper until such time as our schedule allowed more trips with all 4 of us.

I didn't buy the 815 and it was sold that same day. Price was good in today's market, but it felt small to me. The fresh water tank was really small and there are times we camp where there is no water. It could be augmented, but in the end, there was just something that didn't resonate with this camper.

I'll keep an eye out for the right mix of features, age and price. If something comes up I'll buy it and then sell our old one. I paid a low enough price for the old one that I will be able to get out of it what we have into it, likely plus some considering the silly market we are in.

Of course, that means dreaming of bigger and better. I have to stop looking at the used 2020 Wolf Creek 850 a couple hours north of us. It would fit the bill pretty well, but would cost a bit more than I want to spend on a camper.

1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We gone through a bunch of camping styles as the family grew up. Even did the converted cargo van thing until Covid hit.

(Starting with the premise that we ALWAYS have a truck around) Right now, we have a 20' TT with slideout which is roomy enough to be parked for a long weekend of camping with kids and grandkids; and I found an old-but-great popup TC which we use for sightseeing trips or quick overnights. It's just hard to beat the nimbleness of a TC; and unlike our previous motorhome, I don't feel guilty if it's just sitting doing nothing.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

We gone through a bunch of camping styles as the family grew up. Even did the converted cargo van thing until Covid hit.

(Starting with the premise that we ALWAYS have a truck around) Right now, we have a 20' TT with slideout which is roomy enough to be parked for a long weekend of camping with kids and grandkids; and I found an old-but-great popup TC which we use for sightseeing trips or quick overnights. It's just hard to beat the nimbleness of a TC; and unlike our previous motorhome, I don't feel guilty if it's just sitting doing nothing.

That's kind of where we are headed. Wife's favorite place is the ocean. Not as warm there and our boat is not an ocean boat so taking a TT there makes sense (perhaps a toy hauler that could carry an aluminum boat with an outboard). Locally, we go to the lakes with our boat. In that case a truck camper makes sense. Finding the right balance of cost vs use is important so there is no guilt if one sits for a while.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 kids that camp with us 10 and 13 and I feel the 1191 is just right but it is a large TC with a slideout. The only option better would be one with a rear tent option to gain some needed sleeping room. I upgraded from a smaller non-slide 11ft TC and that REALLY was to small but then had to upgrade my truck to a F350 DRW to haul the 1191 comfortably. Don't go small on the TC would be my advice.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Barry W

Corapeake, NC 27926

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my snowriver 9'6 dry shower in 2004 fron five star rv in Henderson, Colorado. Ive looked at campers off and on for about 5 years. I'm now in the process of trading it for a host cascade with dual recliners. The recliners are the biggest reason for trading. I still feel after 17 years in the SR there isn't a better quality tc out there. I'm hoping the Host quality doesn't let me down. The wife and I just need a more comfortable place to sit when we are forced to be inside. Barry

2006 F350 4x4 DRW CREW CAB 6.0
SNOWRIVER 9'6" DINETTE ALL WEATHER PACKAGE
FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS
HONDA EU2000
1000 WATT INVERTER

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When do you upgrade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.