Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: When do you upgrade
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When do you upgrade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father has a 40ft MH, 36ft FW, and an 11' TC. Depending on how long he stays depends on which one he takes.

I've gone through a 94 30' TT when my kids were babies, a 2004 35' FW when they were teenagers, and now an 8' TC for just the two of us. We may end up with a TT again for when we slow down and spend more time in one location.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With growing kids it is tough, that 13 year old May grow a foot overnight. My 18 year old at 6-2 no longer fits in the bunks in our TT, and sleeps on the trifold sofa.

Gonna through a curve at you. How about a class C? You can tow the boat, or a trailer with 4 wheeler/ side by side.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

I didn't do a very good job explaining the question. The two decisions are not necessarily connected, or more appropriately, were not connected prior to a little trip we took to look at that Lance 815.

I was pondering upgrading the current truck camper full well knowing we will probably have to buy a trailer some day. Currently, my wife works weekends so there are many trips that are just me and the boys so a truck camper would work well. I figured when she gets tired of that, a tow behind would be in order and towing the boat would be a no go or we would have to take separate trucks.

Then, we looked at the Lance 815 and my wife was talking like it would be big enough. I felt it was smaller than our current one with the notable exception being the orientation of the bed which for the time being would allow all 4 of us to sleep in it. I don't mind trying something out if I can turn it down the road for what I have in it.

There's so many dynamics at play in this decision it isn't even funny.

OK. So you are asking if you should upgrade the TC with another TC now knowing that at some point you are going to be getting a TT also.

I would not base the decision on "it seems big enough". Your current TC "seemed big enough" when you bought it.

I would sit down together and really discuss what you both want and need in a camper. Consider all aspects not just sleeping. Compare the costs. Discuss the compromises to be made (eg, no towing the boat). Then make the decision based on what gives you the most benefits with the fewest compromises.

That may mean skipping a new TC and going straight to a TT now, keeping the old TC for solo or boys trips.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The things always get me looking above what I want to spend. Haha. Today was a 2010 Lance 855. Nice for a short bed. More than I wanted to spend since I believe a TT is in our future.

1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

The things always get me looking above what I want to spend. Haha. Today was a 2010 Lance 855. Nice for a short bed. More than I wanted to spend since I believe a TT is in our future.

Surely E/W beds are annoying. So much so that most modern TC's now have N/S beds. Surely TC's are cramped. (my friends and I nickname them "crampers") Everything from a basic 8' to 13-14' camper will have two basic features - dinning/sleeping area and sleeping/bed area. The size of these areas don't change all that much between the different sizes of TC's. What does change is the floor area, tank sizes, storage space and weight.

IMHO: while upgrading from a E/W to a N/S bed makes sense to me, upgrading because of tank capacity does not unless your using the water and tanks to shower. I'd seriously look into how your using water. As an example, the other 1/2 and I would regularly camp for a week and still have water left over in our 25gal tank. (shower elsewhere)

Travel Trailers have always been the best "bang for the buck" in the RV world. More space and larger tanks with least cost and truck to tow them. Granted they won't have the ground clearance of a 4x4 truck outfitted with a TC, you won't be able to park or use campsites that you can with a TC and (IMHO) can be a PITA to get turned around out in the 'wild'.

Granted, different people have different objectives when "camping". While just about everyone will find themselves huddled in their RV when the weather goes bad how much time (or not!) people actually spend in their RV when the weather is not a factor is personal choice.

Happy Camping!

- Mark0.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

silverbullet555 wrote:

Surely E/W beds are annoying. So much so that most modern TC's now have N/S beds. Surely TC's are cramped. (my friends and I nickname them "crampers") Everything from a basic 8' to 13-14' camper will have two basic features - dinning/sleeping area and sleeping/bed area. The size of these areas don't change all that much between the different sizes of TC's. What does change is the floor area, tank sizes, storage space and weight.

IMHO: while upgrading from a E/W to a N/S bed makes sense to me, upgrading because of tank capacity does not unless your using the water and tanks to shower. I'd seriously look into how your using water. As an example, the other 1/2 and I would regularly camp for a week and still have water left over in our 25gal tank. (shower elsewhere)

Travel Trailers have always been the best "bang for the buck" in the RV world. More space and larger tanks with least cost and truck to tow them. Granted they won't have the ground clearance of a 4x4 truck outfitted with a TC, you won't be able to park or use campsites that you can with a TC and (IMHO) can be a PITA to get turned around out in the 'wild'.

Granted, different people have different objectives when "camping". While just about everyone will find themselves huddled in their RV when the weather goes bad how much time (or not!) people actually spend in their RV when the weather is not a factor is personal choice.

Happy Camping!

- Mark0.

I would never upgrade for fresh tank capacity. And likely not for black/grey capacities. Shower outside, dishwash outside, etc. It's a consideration as a benefit/drawback, but not as a reason.

The reasons to upgrade.
N/S bed
A/C
inside shower for wife mostly.

For me, if I could find my same camper in a N/S configuration, which they made a few years later, I'd have no heartburn moving to it, especially if it was their polar version. The more modern ones have improved construction techniques and some additional niceties, but they come at a cost which is why I am not running out and upgrading.

Passed on a Lance 815 the other day. Not sure why, but it didn't resonate with me. It was priced well, sold the same day and I'll probably kick myself for passing on it.

This Lance caught my eye. I don't want to pay the inflated prices of today's market as it is terrible. I do wonder what it is truly worth in a non-inflated market.

Lance 855

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We upgraded from our 2003 Travelite to a Northstar 12STC to get a dry bath. A basement camper would be too tall to fit through our 12' garage door, and wanted the lightest camper available with a true dry bath. The Northstar met both criteria.

Scott

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When do you upgrade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.