Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New F-150 Electric P/U
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, saw the ad on television for the Electric F-150, not really impressed. 300 mile average distance traveled on a charge, then charge overnight and ready for another 300 miles. I live in Central Arkansas, my son lives in Rockwall, Texas, I calculated my mileage and come up with total distance of 327 miles. Not counting off and ons for potty breaks and he lives a few miles off I-30, I rounded it up to 350 miles.
Now if I drove the elec. truck, I would have to find a place between Greenville and Rowlett to charge and spend the night. Why would I want one of these trucks?

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charge during lunch and bathroom stops and you can make it in one day.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, generally speaking you're probably in the minority. Most people probably drive much less than 300 miles in a day on average. But, in reality, electric vehicles are still mostly a niche market, with commuter and urban vehicles mostly making up the numbers.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess you haven't done any research on electric vehicles. They only take overnight to charge if you plug them into a standard outlet. Commercial fast chargers take far less time- an hour or so. Still much longer than filling up with gas, of course. If you had an electric truck, you would only need to make a lunch stop to charge up, not an overnight stop. If you were towing your trailer it would be a different story- you would have to charge every 100 miles or thereabouts.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Provided there is a charging station along the route, and at the proper distance.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

bgum wrote:

Provided there is a charging station along the route, and at the proper distance.

The administration's infrastructure bill plans to build 500,000 of them. Bet it will be in every corner considering there are just 168,000 gas stations in the country..

And charging overnight is needed if you are starting from zero charge.

If you are pulling an RV, most conservative is about 150 miles. That's about the same mileage with my gasser for bathroom,stretch and lunch breaks.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you don't want one so you've answered your own question. As far as why people do, I would guess that population won't commute 300 miles on a regular basis. Unless I am travelling I rarely run my truck more than 15 miles in a day. 50 if I am really running around. Initially I was scratching my head about an EV truck. But I am sure I am like a lot of people in that I am within 20 miles of a HD or Lowes. I could use this truck to get building materials etc, groceries, to the beach ( I live near the beach), pretty much all my usual running around. Once the light bulb went off that very few people travel an EV's range on most if not every day of the year, it starts to make sense. Being an RV'er, we look at it through the lens of the long distance travel. But we are a minority. An EV truck would probably suffice for 90% of the people who own an F150 today.

As a footnote, the 300 mile range is optimum conditions. Weather, terrain, running the heat or AC etc will all impact MPW (miles per watts). I suspect real world conditions the range is less.

And as others have said, the overnight charge is a worse case scenario on a standard outlet. Chargers made for EV's would charge at a much faster rate.

* This post was edited 06/29/21 12:48pm by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not many people do 300 miles on an average day.

So the question is how often do you travel 300 miles or more in a day.
- If it's 2-3 times per year planning a stop to do a high speed charge is probably viable.
- If it's 2-3 times per week, that's probably a deal breaker.

Of course, in terms of RVs...you aren't getting anything close to 300 miles while towing.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious
What if I carried my 200lb, 7200W, 240V/30A generator in the truck bed. Taking that same 350 mile trip, and say a realistic distance is 250 miles per charge. Let's say I travel 200 miles and stop at an out of the way location to take a lunch break. Out of the way meaning generator noise doesn't offend anyone. How long will I need to recharge at 7200W before I can reliably make the last 150 miles?

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Level 3 recharging time is 40 to 50 minutes. Level 2 is 10 to 14 hours.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/product/2022/f-150-lightning/pdf/F-150_Lightning_Tech_Specs.pdf

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.