Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electrical question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Electrical question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/01/21 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Lol, meter is broke.
IMO, you did you due diligence...


So in other words ,just continue with your free electricity , although you should be paying for it.


He paid for a site that includes an electrical connection, the park has an obligation to provide that connection. Should he accept a product that doesn't meet the standard he paid for?

If he notifies them (preferably in writing), his moral obligation is met and he is under no obligation to stop using electricity.

Now if he started stringing cords to neighbors RVs or purposely used more electricity that would be different.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that once he notifies them of the problem, his obligation has been met. He can't fix the problem himself and stopping the usage isn't an option. Now, the park may come back with an amount owed that he may be responsible for that they will have to justify the amount.

To me, it is much like a situation I had one time where I had a store clerk argue with me about the bill that I gave her to pay for my purchase. She gave me change as if I gave her a $20, but I actually gave her a $10. I know it was a $10 because it was the only cash I had on me at the time. When she handed me the change, I tried to hand her the $10 bill back and told her that I had given her a $10. She got very defensive and told me in no uncertain terms that I had given her a $20. At that point, I felt I had met my obligation and left with a clear conscience. I'm sure she thought about our conversation at the end of the night when her register was short.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people have commented on the fact that they might try to charge him later for the electricity he has used. But,without the meter working how would they know how much he has used ? Maybe they could use previous bills and come up with a estimate but, he could argue that number down lower.

Still probably best to send them a notice in writing and after that if they don't fix it and then try to charge you for past usage you could say that you tried to tell them and it's their own fault.

momentum rv

Central Cal.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/04/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/02/21 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Many people have commented on the fact that they might try to charge him later for the electricity he has used. But,without the meter working how would they know how much he has used ? Maybe they could use previous bills and come up with a estimate but, he could argue that number down lower.

Still probably best to send them a notice in writing and after that if they don't fix it and then try to charge you for past usage you could say that you tried to tell them and it's their own fault.


If there is a master meter and the sub meters the park could try to figure out the difference, but hard to prove OPs actual use. But they may try at some point and provide a big bill.


2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/02/21 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Lol, meter is broke.
IMO, you did you due diligence...


So in other words ,just continue with your free electricity , although you should be paying for it.

He notified them. His conscience is clear. He can't force them to fix the problem.


Sure his conscience is clear, does that change the fact he should be paying the same as the rest . Sounds like from a few of you its okay as long as he can get away with it, he did his part [emoticon]

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/02/21 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Lol, meter is broke.
IMO, you did you due diligence...


So in other words ,just continue with your free electricity , although you should be paying for it.


He paid for a site that includes an electrical connection, the park has an obligation to provide that connection. Should he accept a product that doesn't meet the standard he paid for?

If he notifies them (preferably in writing), his moral obligation is met and he is under no obligation to stop using electricity.

Now if he started stringing cords to neighbors RVs or purposely used more electricity that would be different.



No, he should probably get it straightened out sooner then later, to prevent having to make the argument on a bill he thinks is unfair or whatever . It sounds like he's had ONE conversation. Somewhere along the line its going to come back ,and bite him in some way. Yes in writing ,and then go from there .

mr_andyj

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 11/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/02/21 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

meters are not perfect, there are things that cause the meter to read high or low or not at all, even the ones on your house.
I suspect that the campground has one big meter at the street that they pay based on, and the ones at your site they use to add up everyone's portion. I suspect that the portions are enough to cover the electric company's bill and CG not losing money here. It is your neighbors paying for your power, not the CG.
The CG would spend more money trying to figure out the issue, your issue alone,or to replace one meter that is not costing them anything to leave alone than they would to just ignore it.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/21 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Lol, meter is broke.
IMO, you did you due diligence...


So in other words ,just continue with your free electricity , although you should be paying for it.

He notified them. His conscience is clear. He can't force them to fix the problem.


Sure his conscience is clear, does that change the fact he should be paying the same as the rest . Sounds like from a few of you its okay as long as he can get away with it, he did his part [emoticon]


It is ok. If he notified the proper people and they don't fix it, the Onus is on them. This is not the OP's problem to solve. He doesn't own the park. Moral and ethical obligation was met. Exactly what else would you have him do? If the OP takes any further action himself it could actually be considered overreach. I'd have no trouble sleeping.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/02/21 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Lol, meter is broke.
IMO, you did you due diligence...


So in other words ,just continue with your free electricity , although you should be paying for it.

He notified them. His conscience is clear. He can't force them to fix the problem.


Sure his conscience is clear, does that change the fact he should be paying the same as the rest . Sounds like from a few of you its okay as long as he can get away with it, he did his part [emoticon]


It is ok. If he notified the proper people and they don't fix it, the Onus is on them. This is not the OP's problem to solve. He doesn't own the park. Moral and ethical obligation was met. Exactly what else would you have him do? If the OP takes any further action himself it could actually be considered overreach. I'd have no trouble sleeping.



He mentioned it once to them, as said put it in writing ,email etc. A conversation with them will be forgotten, and then possibly comes back to bite him . After all he does owe for electricity ,if its metered what part of that are you not understanding. You can have all the moral obligation you want ,doesn't change the facts here of what he is SUPPOSED to pay.

My point is at some point its coming back on him, one conversation apparently didn't get it done . Something in writing, then its on them .

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/21 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:
if its metered what part of that are you not understanding. You can have all the moral obligation you want ,doesn't change the facts here of what he is SUPPOSED to pay.

My point is at some point its coming back on him, one conversation apparently didn't get it done . Something in writing, then its on them
------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently it's not being metered - lol.

Getting it in writing doesn't put the onus on them - it's always been on them. In good faith he let them know, but he has no legal obligation to address a broken piece of equipment he doesn't own. They own it - their obligation. CYA is a different conversation and to that point I agree, but none of this is- or has ever been on the OP. And if they fix it and it comes back with a hefty bill, to your point - he owes it. What difference will it make if he has it in writing he told them or not? The contract he had about paying electric is already in place.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Electrical question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.