cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yosemite

hmcfly
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to take a trip to Yosemite at Thousand Trails campground and I need to go through Groveland. The only way that I see is that you have to go up New Priest rd, I ve been up it but never been down it, how bad is it to go down?
6 REPLIES 6

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did that about two years ago. Allow an extra 20 minutes and keep your speed down and all is fine. The road itself is in very good condition.

hmcfly
Explorer
Explorer
rightlaneonly wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
I do not recall the Priest grade section of Highway 120 being too difficult.... yes curvy but no excessive grade in my opinion. Lived there for 20 years and drove it often. Then again, that was 20 years ago. Note: Not to be confused with Old Priest Grade road, which is likely impossible for an RV,!

Agree with this. New Priest grade is a comfortable but curvy road, not to steep. I drove trucks hauling gasoline over it for 25 years and my pickup more than that. The steepest spot is just out of Big Oak Flat going west but it's short. Gear down here. You didn't say what you're driving/pulling but it's not a bad road, take it slow, you should be fine.

I'm pulling a 36 ft trailer 8000 pounds

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
I do not recall the Priest grade section of Highway 120 being too difficult.... yes curvy but no excessive grade in my opinion. Lived there for 20 years and drove it often. Then again, that was 20 years ago. Note: Not to be confused with Old Priest Grade road, which is likely impossible for an RV,!

Agree with this. New Priest grade is a comfortable but curvy road, not to steep. I drove trucks hauling gasoline over it for 25 years and my pickup more than that. The steepest spot is just out of Big Oak Flat going west but it's short. Gear down here. You didn't say what you're driving/pulling but it's not a bad road, take it slow, you should be fine.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
New Priest (aka CA 120, the Tioga Road) isnโ€™t bad just stay in a low gearโ€ฆfirst or secondโ€ฆand use your brakes without constant pedal pressure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
We went down that way from Tuolumne meadows campground about 10 years ago. It was pretty steep with lots of sharp curves. Towing our 28 foot fifth wheel, we kept it mostly in first gear to help keep things slow. Itโ€™s doable but I from now on I just exit back through Yosemite valley to come home. Good luck.
E.Lee Galik