Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Yosemite
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Yosemite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
hmcfly

Bloomington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to take a trip to Yosemite at Thousand Trails campground and I need to go through Groveland. The only way that I see is that you have to go up New Priest rd, I ve been up it but never been down it, how bad is it to go down?

Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went down that way from Tuolumne meadows campground about 10 years ago. It was pretty steep with lots of sharp curves. Towing our 28 foot fifth wheel, we kept it mostly in first gear to help keep things slow. It’s doable but I from now on I just exit back through Yosemite valley to come home. Good luck.

E.Lee Galik

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Priest (aka CA 120, the Tioga Road) isn’t bad just stay in a low gear…first or second…and use your brakes without constant pedal pressure.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not recall the Priest grade section of Highway 120 being too difficult.... yes curvy but no excessive grade in my opinion. Lived there for 20 years and drove it often. Then again, that was 20 years ago. Note: Not to be confused with Old Priest Grade road, which is likely impossible for an RV,!

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

I do not recall the Priest grade section of Highway 120 being too difficult.... yes curvy but no excessive grade in my opinion. Lived there for 20 years and drove it often. Then again, that was 20 years ago. Note: Not to be confused with Old Priest Grade road, which is likely impossible for an RV,!

Agree with this. New Priest grade is a comfortable but curvy road, not to steep. I drove trucks hauling gasoline over it for 25 years and my pickup more than that. The steepest spot is just out of Big Oak Flat going west but it's short. Gear down here. You didn't say what you're driving/pulling but it's not a bad road, take it slow, you should be fine.

Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

hmcfly

Bloomington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rightlaneonly wrote:

Ed_Gee wrote:

Agree with this. New Priest grade is a comfortable but curvy road, not to steep. I drove trucks hauling gasoline over it for 25 years and my pickup more than that. The steepest spot is just out of Big Oak Flat going west but it's short. Gear down here. You didn't say what you're driving/pulling but it's not a bad road, take it slow, you should be fine.

I'm pulling a 36 ft trailer 8000 pounds

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did that about two years ago. Allow an extra 20 minutes and keep your speed down and all is fine. The road itself is in very good condition.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Yosemite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.