cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV generator won't run and leaks when priming

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter. After priming for 45 seconds the generator ran for about 2 minutes then stopped. Afterwards it would not run as seen in the video below. Before replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter the generator didn't run at all because close to no fuel was getting to the generator. Now when priming the fuel comes out but kind of in spurts, is it suppose to be a consistent stream?

I noticed when I prime the generator it seems to be leaking. I can't tell from where but could this be the problem? I attached the youtube video of where it kind of leaks from. Anybody know why/where it would leak?

Things to note:
Gas tank is half full
Carburetor was cleaned out a few months ago

Priming RV Generator leaks:
https://youtu.be/R-yb0ha5VS4

Trying to run RV generator:
https://youtu.be/hc3ZhmFtdjY
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too think it's needle valve (Float valve) issue. I used to have a van that did that and i got so I could clean the !Q@$@! valve on the side of the road.
Turned out the fuel pump was falling apart

Fuel pump---filter---Carb fixed it till the pump failed (Added a filter)

Filter---Pump---Carb won't help if the pump is failing

The old pump may have clogged the valve
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Intake side or the air filter side.
No big deal what you call it. Goal is to help.

I would not try starting it anymore. Click the prime button. If you see gas dripping definitely dont try to start the motor until the leak is fixed.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Its not leaking on the intake side, it's leaking on the air filter side, which likely isn't "water tight" anyways. The problem isn't the leaking there. But it's likely what wobachop said. Float is sticking. Also means it's inhaling that gas and likely flooded.
Did you remove the sparkplug to check?
And yes if enough gas made it through, some likely washed down into the crankcase. Id' check/change the oil once you get er running.
See if it's flooded first.

I stand corrected.

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Its leaking on the intake side. I get the feeling your float needle valve is not sealing.

Which unfortunately means gasoline might have made it into your engine oil. Smell the dipstick.

Can you pull the carb pretty quickly? Get the carb off the motor and hit prime. You should not have any gasoline dripping everywhere. Will need to clean or replace the needle valve and hopefully the kit also contain the needle valve seat.

I smelled the dipstick and it definetly smells like gasoline and the oil level dropped significantly since before changing out the fuel pump & filter today.

I'm going to drain the oil and put new oil in. Will also clean the needle valve and hopeefully that should do the trick. Thanks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Its not leaking on the intake side, it's leaking on the air filter side, which likely isn't "water tight" anyways. The problem isn't the leaking there. But it's likely what wobachop said. Float is sticking. Also means it's inhaling that gas and likely flooded.
Did you remove the sparkplug to check?
And yes if enough gas made it through, some likely washed down into the crankcase. Id' check/change the oil once you get er running.
See if it's flooded first.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Its leaking on the intake side. I get the feeling your float needle valve is not sealing.

Which unfortunately means gasoline might have made it into your engine oil. Smell the dipstick.

Can you pull the carb pretty quickly? Get the carb off the motor and hit prime. You should not have any gasoline dripping everywhere. Will need to clean or replace the needle valve and hopefully the kit also contain the needle valve seat.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your first video looks like a leak between the carburetor and intake. With a leak like that it would be sucking air and quit running. Did you replace the gasket when replacing the carburetor?