cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane alarms sounds at odd times

perrodiablo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Rockwood 2607 TT. For the last year my propane alarm goes off at some of the oddest times. Usually 2-3 days into my trip and always between 3:am and 6:am in the morning. I changed it out for a new one but it continues. I purchased a plug-in Home combustible gas detector and it does not sound. This existing unit is mounted 3 inches off the floor and next to the fridge and converter. I have some pet food off to the right about 3 feet. My wife thinks the food is setting it off or maybe cat breaking wind.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom & Lara R.
Grand Prairie, Texas
2007 30' Rockport TT
10 REPLIES 10

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
We had an experience like this only once....middle of the night the alarm kept going off.
Husband checked around and could not find the source.
The alarm had quit.
Next night same thing.....we ended up putting a garbage can over the monitor to muffle the beeps so we could sleep.
Next morning it had stopped.
Our trailer was only a few months new at this time.
We had to take the trailer in for some other minor adjustments.
We inquired about the beeping in the middle of the night.
Ha,ha,ha.....turned out our propane tank was low and when the heater came on the low lp monitor went off. Not sure why the tank did not switch on its own.
This was many years ago, no more problem.
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK here is an off the wall possible solution. My trailer is 15 years old and maybe 8 or 9 years ago I was having the same issue. Battery was not the issue but I did check that. I read on a forum somewhere that it is important to "test" the detector each year. It even says to do that in the documentation that comes with the detector. The explanation I was given is that the test will dislodge any dust that might accumulate on the sensors.
I wasn't really sold by this explanation but did the test and, haven't had any more issues with mine. I do test it each spring as part of the de-winterizing ritual. Still am concerned about having to replace it, but I will when I have to. Give this a try.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
perrodiablo wrote:
100% True. This detector has never sounded any other time. I thought about somehow doing a pressure test on the line like a plumber does for natural gas at a house. Pump it up and stick a gauge on it.
Ok so 100% only between 3-6am.

Wonder if it has to do with air turbulence? Youre sleeping and most likely dont have many windows open. That is something that is different at 3am than at 3pm.

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
Ours used to do that too. Always in the middle of the night, even when plugged into shore power. Never did it in the driveway, plugged in at home, with the windows closed. Only did it when the windows were closed and running the AC with us asleep camping. Never with the windows open.

Ours was a combo unit so I bought a standalone CO detector with readout. That never showed above 0.

I blamed flatulence; of course it was the dog... 🙂

-Drew
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a combo unit, it tells you why its in alarm. If yours is a newer unit it will do the same. So , look for the directions and listen to the sound of the alarm.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

perrodiablo
Explorer
Explorer
100% True. This detector has never sounded any other time. I thought about somehow doing a pressure test on the line like a plumber does for natural gas at a house. Pump it up and stick a gauge on it.
Tom & Lara R.
Grand Prairie, Texas
2007 30' Rockport TT

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’ve set off a CO detector with a fart before….
But your cat should see a vet if it’s happening every night.
Besides youd smell it. Cat farts are horrible! Doubt it’s the cat!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
perrodiablo wrote:
always between 3:am and 6:am in the morning.
Is this part true or more a joke about the annoyance?

The guy above talking about voltage drop could be on to something. While boondocking usually 3-6am your batteries are the lowest.

Another weird but possible cause is temp. Between 3-6am it would be the coolest. Loose electrical connections dont like getting cold and shrinking.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Is this 12v powered? if so do you have a volt meter? Its possible the voltage is dropping off, as I think they will activate with low voltage. Sort of a warning that they don't sense properly and are failing due to the low voltage.

Are you plugged into a pedestal at a campground? If so check the output voltage of your converter.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
perrodiablo wrote:
I have a 2007 Rockwood 2607 TT. For the last year my propane alarm goes off at some of the oddest times. Usually 2-3 days into my trip and always between 3:am and 6:am in the morning. I changed it out for a new one but it continues. I purchased a plug-in Home combustible gas detector and it does not sound. This existing unit is mounted 3 inches off the floor and next to the fridge and converter. I have some pet food off to the right about 3 feet. My wife thinks the food is setting it off or maybe cat breaking wind.

Are you sure yours isn't a combo Carbon Monoxide/LP gas detector that's being set off by CO?

Many things can set off a propane detector, especially sprays like hair sprays, cooking sprays, alcohol sanitizing sprays and yes as you said, even flatulence. But at 3am you probably aren't spraying anything and unless the cat is sitting on the unit, it'd be surprising if the cat is the culprit.

Did you check the manufacturing/expiration date of the replacement unit? They expire whether or not they're in use, so if the seller gave you an old one from the back of the shelf, it could already be expired.